Catching Up With Lauren Conrad: How She Kick-Started Her Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Lauren Conrad (30) made her reality TV debut on MTV “reality show” Laguna Beach in 2004 at just eighteen years old. She was known as the girl who stole Stephen Colletti’s heart from rival Kristin Cavallari. Conrad became the peacemaker when drama ensued on the show.

Once she graduated form Laguna Beach High, she enrolled at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. Conrad spent one semester there but then quickly realized that it wasn’t the place for her. Lauren Conrad (LC) ended up making one good friend, Heidi Montag, who ended up going from best friend to enemy to frenemy, and so on. Montag ended up becoming a fellow castmate on Conrad’s next show, The Hills.

The Hills was essentially the sequel to Laguna Beach. It followed Conrad as she made her way from San Francisco to Los Angeles to begin her studies at The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.  LC and Heidi Montag ended up living together in Los Angeles, but the show followed the quick deterioration of their friendship once Montag started dated L.A. playboy Spencer Pratt.

During the course of The Hills, Conrad successfully obtained an internship at Teen Vogue. Fellow intern and then turned castmate on The Hills, Whitney Port, ended up working with Lauren and the two became good friends. While at Teen Vogue, LC got her first taste of the fashion industry, styling models for photo shoots, assisting during runway shows, and working several large events. This opportunity ultimately played a large role in Conrad’s decision to start her own clothing line. Today, LC has three lines and is often asked to design outfits for high profile clients.

Lauren Conrad’s first line, The Lauren Conrad Collection, was created in 2007 and was even shown at Los Angeles’s Fashion Week. Two years later, Conrad expanded her empire, designing her second line, LC Lauren Conrad, that was more geared toward the masses, as it is exclusively sold at Kohl’s. L.C. focuses on casual clothing with a Cali girl vibe. Today, the line has expanded to include accessories, shoes, home décor, etc. 

Paper Crown is Lauren Conrad’s third clothing line. She amped up her game for this particular venture, using new fabrics like tulle, silk, chiffon and textures. This collection is considered Conrad’s most fashion-forward line, and it remains a popular line today. 

Lauren Conrad even proved herself as an author. With her first novel released in 2009, titled, L.A. Candy, Conrad quickly became a New York Times Best-Selling Author. This prompted her to release several more books including Sweet Little Lies, Sugar and Spice, Lauren Conrad Style, and Lauren Conrad Beauty all of which have became best-sellers. Conrad also released a series of books titled The Fame Game, Starstruck and Infamous.

LC’s most recent book, Lauren Conrad Celebrates shares details of her new passion for party planning and crafting. Lauren showed off her skills prior to the release of the book when she planned her own wedding to law student and musician William Tell, which took place in September 2014.  In addition, LC even used fashion to help the planet. Conrad teamed up with lifestyle company, Blue Avocado, to create a line of eco-friendly products, including bags and home storage products

.

Conrad is certainly seen as a role model to girls everywhere. Magazines are constantly featuring Lauren Conrad on their covers detailing the newest development, passion, or project Conrad is involved in. She certainly has come full circle in working extremely hard to fufill her dreams to ultimately become the graceful, yet strong-willed businesswoman that she is. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12