Carpe Diem for Summer 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Summer is here and you are overjoyed to start your sun-kissed vacation, that the glorious internship you so desperately wanted, or just sleep-in for a few weeks. Whatever it is you plan on doing this summer, take advantage of the freedom you have away from school and stress to enjoy life.

For the seniors out there, congrats – you made it. It is your time to embark on the next journey of your life. The end is only the beginning.

For the undergraduates clinging onto the tight-rope – relax, the years you have left are something you should cherish and value. It is these moments where we are able to express who we are through petitions and strikes, decide what morals and values dictate our personalities, and who we are or what we become is derived from the experiences we have during undergrad life. No matter where you stand among these four years of college, know that (that overly cliché line) of “life is too short” will be the ultimate reality check as you mark your life with mistakes as well as successes and learn from them.

Whatever year you may be, we all know one thing: this summer can be one of your best yet. Here are a few tips and tricks to keep you entertained, enlightened, and just about ready to do anything. 

Do something different

Yes I said, do something different. This involves actually getting on your feet and trying to do something that you might not have wanted to do. I mean, typically – this depends on where you live.

For example, I live in Washington D.C., but plan on going home to El Paso, Texas, for the summer. Yep, you heard that right: EL PASO. Straight mountains and “desert” and quite a lot of palm trees. My parent’s new move into the city left me wanting to dig my way out (literally). So I told my dad that I wanted to take a mini-road trip to Mexico since it was only a 20 minutes away. Sure enough, I found myself in one of the world’s most wild cities in Mexico and enjoyed the enriching culture that most people overlook because they focus on the statistics rather than the actuality of a location.

All I can say is: road trip, road trip, and road trip. It doesn’t need to be to Mexico, but it can be with your friends or family to another state to explore different surroundings and embark on something that opens the door for something you could enjoy more than you think.

Be artistic 

Creating your own piece of art is something that never expires. The joy of painting or scrapbooking or Pinteresting for your inspiration is a great summer downtime activity that can be done while tanning by the pool and drinking a nice glass of whatever-makes-you-tingle-inside with all of your gals.

Volunteer

Most people think that volunteering for something should be during the school year when it “matters most” or during a time when you feel forced. In actuality, volunteering can be as simple as going to your local children’s hospital and making new friends or getting to know one of the patients because you want to, not because it makes you look good. Or, it  could be going to the animal shelter (again, with friends) and petting the animals there to show them some love. Who knows, you may end up coming home with a new pet! Either way, volunteering satisfies your soul and is fulfilling. Remember, do good and good shall come to you.

Save, then spend

Ah, yes – it’s the Quadruple-S factor for a stylish summer. For all you ladies out there, it is no secret that treating yourself after a paycheck makes you feel special every now and then. 

Here’s a twist though, it starts with being budget-friendly to your homie, your wallet. If you have a job, save up a certain amount of money (i.e. I save up $150 to spend on one day of shopping and treating myself to the best summer sales). If you set a budget then it will make sure you don’t exceed it. Save just enough to spend but don’t spend enough to the point where the next time you look at your debit card account, the balance is negative and you can’t pay off those bills! My tip is to spend that budget limit you set for yourself on SALES. I am telling you – sales over anything and you will not regret it. It’s not because you’re cheap. It is because it is money you worked hard to attain and it should be money you spend wisely on items that are marked down for your convenience. (But if you really love it, buy it anyway.)

Make memories

With anything we do, we make memories. We make and remake and it is just a simple part of LIVING. So why not do this, with whatever you do with your friends or with your family, or even when you are home alone singing in front of a mirror with a brush for a microphone, make it long-lasting and memorable. There is a difference between “naturally” collecting and making memories and there is a difference between actually making memories. However you plan on remembering that memory from a picture to an object of the moment, create a time box of past memories from childhood to the current moment and enjoy your new keepsake. Surely, a made memory is something that will forever stick with you, no matter where your summer journey takes you next.

Any way you plan on enjoying this summer, never forget to seize the day! 

Photo Credit

Just a Desert Girl fulfilling her dreams in the Concrete Jungle of the District of Columbia. B.S. Public Health/Biology @AmericanU - The One & Only, your favorite Moroccan, Xo.