Campus Staple: Longchamp Le Pliage Tote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Do you remember the day you noticed that you could spot that ubiquitous nylon tote in almost every class? You come across a Longchamp Le Pliage tote on a girl’s shoulder almost as much as you see the squirrels on campus. This isn’t a bad thing. In fact, seeing the purse on campus everyday has made me experience a little FOMO. Is nylon a more durable fabric? Does this bag give a girl some extra security and confidence? I reflect on this bag a little too much, so I decided to engage in some hard-hitting journalism about the perks of owning this nylon tote. Her Campus American investigates.

A sophomore thinks the appeal of Le Pliage bag is all about reliability. “I’ve had it for a few years and have thrown it around everywhere. The high-quality bag is more than a statement,” said Morgan Mitchell. With a price tag of $125, the tote seems like a worthy investment unlike the questionable bucket bags that have been on trend lately. Sure, we can lust for a Mansur Gavriel or it’s (somewhat) college-student budget friendly cousin at Madewell, but how do you even carry those without feeling uncomfortable? It’s too round to put on the shoulder and too awkward to do the nonchalant carry-by-the-elbow move. 

Longchamp tote devotees cherish its all-purpose features. Sophomore Emoni Fitch likes the purse because it’s “utilitarian.” In other words, the bag is ideal for girls on the run who juggle classes with jobs and internships. I’ve even seen the Le Pliage with people on the way to their gym runs. You may be thinking what makes this college staple so different from the tons of Bean Boots or Alex and Ani bracelets we see daily? The Longchamp Le Pliage didn’t come from a particular style. The purse is in the closets of everyone, from the hipsters to the New England preps. 

While I don’t own the bag, I’m in awe of what a phenomenon it is. Although I didn’t witness the Longchamp tote’s popularity until college, a lot of the world has already. This month, the Le Pliage bag marks its 20th anniversary. Thirty-two million Le Pliage bags have been sold since its debut, according to Forbes. If you’re a devotee, check out Longchamp’s special edition Le Pliage Heritage collection. The campaign model is the uber-cool Brit Alexa Chung

While I don’t own the canvas purse, I love that the bag doesn’t come off as exclusionary. When I see it in class, I feel like it’s giving off that hey, I’m not going to force myself on you, but my owner loves me, has me in black, navy AND red because I can adapt to everything vibe. Okay, maybe I want to get in on the Le Pliage love-fest. Readers: Christmas is coming soon. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2