Campus Resources You’re Probably Not Using (But Should Be)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As the mid-point of the semester approaches, it’s a natural time to start evaluating yourself and your semester. Whether you didn’t do as well as you’d hoped on midterms, you’re feeling a little homesick, or just feel like you’re in a slump, now is the perfect time to start taking advantage of all the resources AU has available right here on campus. It’s easy to think that you don’t need to reach out for support until you’re really struggling, but even if you’re doing well, it can’t hurt to get a little extra help.

Peer Tutoring

The Academic Support and Access Center offers tutoring in subjects such as Accounting, Biology, Chemistry, Economics, World Politics, and more. Many students don’t realize that this is completely free and can be used as frequently or infrequently as you’d like. The tutors are current students who got an A or A- in the class, and have been specifically trained to help fellow students. Even if you regularly go to office hours or get help from friends, it’s always helpful to get extra help right before an exam, or if you’re particularly struggling in a class.

Counseling Center

Many students feel that the counseling center is a resource to be used only if you’re struggling with a specific mental health issue, and only if things are “really bad”. The truth, however, is that the counseling center offers a wide variety of services, and you don’t have to sit down with a therapist one-one-one if that’s not your style. The center offers group therapy, including specialized groups for people who want to improve their communication with others. There’s also a variety of workshops on topics ranging from procrastination, adjusting to college life, mindfulness and more.  And of course, if you are dealing with a specific mental health issue, the one-on-one counseling is free and confidential.

Inter-Library Loan

I just recently discovered the Inter-Library Loan (ILL) resource at the campus library, and I wish I had known about it sooner. The program lets you request books, articles, films, and more from libraries all across the country, and even internationally, completely free of charge and for an extended period of time. I recently used ILL to request a book I had been wanting to read on my own time for fun, but hadn’t wanted to pay the full price for at Barnes&Noble. I got to read it for free and renew it multiple times, which was much more convenient than having to go out and buy it.

KCBC Audience Dogs

The Kogod Center for Business Communications (KCBC) Audience Dogs program recently gained nationwide attention when it was featured in the New York Times. Even still, many students don’t take full advantage of this useful (and adorable) resource. The Audience Dog program lets you practice your speech or group presentation in front of a few furry friends, which has been proven to decrease stress and improve your mood. For those who get anxious giving presentations, it’s the perfect way to practice in front of a non-judgemental viewer. The dogs aren’t always available, so if you’re a business major or minor, it’s a good idea to contact the KCBC ahead of time for an appointment. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3 

Samantha Boyd

American '19

.
Tanvi is an overcaffeinated senior at American University, studying Political Science and Communication. She's originally from Princeton, New Jersey and will defend her home state forever. When she's not managing HCAU, you can find Tanvi somewhere with a functional espresso machine, pretending to study while actually crying over Beyoncé's Instagram. Tanvi enjoys coffee, food, London, and strong female role models. According to a Buzzfeed quiz, Tanvi is the "Smashing A Car With A Golf Club" part of the "Blank Space" music video. In her spare time, she likes to moonlight as a standup comedian on Twitter (@tanvi0731), and read The Atlantic and Vogue.