Student Portrait
Student Portrait
Photo by Ishita Jamar
Life > Experiences

Campus Cutie: Ishita Jamar ‘23

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Name: Ishita Jamar

Hometown: Closter, NJ 

Year: Sophomore, Class of 2023

Majors/Minors: Public Relations and Strategic Communication. Minors in Political Science and Marketing.

Her Campus American: Where would you love to travel to and why?

Ishita Jamar: There are a lot of places I want to travel but right now, I would do anything to go back to my home country India. I haven’t been back in four years and I have a ton of family who I am dying to see. 

HCAU: What do you love about American? 

IJ: The size. Whenever I’m on campus, I always see people I know but I always end up meeting new people as well. It is so nice knowing that I have a community of people to lean on and more people who I can still get to know in my remaining two years! Also, I can’t forget the professors and staff. They are all so helpful and have truly made my learning experience one that I enjoy. 

HCAU: Who was the first person at AU that made you feel like you belonged? 

IJ: Professor Scott Talan! Weirdly enough, when I first visited American as a senior in high school, I left my tour early. I didn’t think it would be a good fit for me. I decided to give American another chance on admitted student’s day. I met Professor Talan there and he made me truly feel AU was where I needed to be. A few months later, I ended up taking my first communications class with Professor Talan! I would always share my accomplishments and failures with him during office hours, and he always made it a point to help me and encourage me to keep going. It really helped in the long run. 

HCAU: How did you first get involved with American University Student Government (AUSG)?

IJ: I decided to run for Class of 2023 Senator in (roughly) October of 2019. I was one of the five candidates that won and was sworn in in January of 2020. Since my involvement, I worked heavily in the Commission on Preventing and Handling Sexual Assault Cases on Campus. 

HCAU: What is your role in AUSG?

IJ: I am currently the Speaker of the 16th Undergraduate Senate! 

HCAU: What’s your Bandit Taco order?

IJ: Since I am vegetarian, I have to go with the vegetarian options at Bandit Taco. I love the mushroom and tofu tacos. Also a big fan of the guacamole and street corn! 

HCAU: What are you most looking forward to during spring semester?

IJ: Warm weather! That is the most generic answer, but a very accurate one. I have super long days, usually starting around 8/9 AM and ending at midnight or later. Having sunlight really helps me get through the days and I love spending time outside, whether that be in my D.C. home’s backyard or the AU quad! 

HCAU: What do you like to do in your free time? 

IJ: I love drinking and making coffee! I just started my job as a barista at the Bridge Cafe. I am also a super social person and love spending time with my friends and family (safely!). Recently, I restarted How I Met Your Mother and coloring. It’s a great destresser! 

HCAU: Where can we keep up with you? Social accounts? Website? 

IJ: My senate Instagram account is @ishforsenate! I am also active on LinkedIn – Ishita Jamar

HCAU: If you could give incoming freshmen one piece of advice what would it be?

IJ: You are HUMAN. Many times, I forget that I am a human who has valid reasons to feel tired, sad, or stressed. It is easy to get caught up in the AU culture of always doing more. Make sure you are scheduling time for yourself and for family and friends! These times will help you rejuvenate and truly do your best. 

Student Portrait
Photo by Ishita Jamar

Photo: Ishita Jamar, Her Campus Media

(She/Her/Hers) Sophie is a senior at American University in Washington, DC majoring in Public Relations & Strategic Communication with minors in Graphic Design and Marketing. Currently, Sophie serves as the Graphic Design and Communications Intern for AU's Office of Sustainability, and as a freelance designer. ​In her free time, she likes to go on hikes, discover new music, explore DC, travel, take photos, spend time with her family, doodle, hang out with her friends, and focus on personal health and well-being.