Broad City: Best Show of 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Comedy Central’s Broad City just had its second season premiere on Wednesday, January 15th and in case you missed it, Llana Glazer and Abbi Johnson are absolutely killin’ it. Llana and Abbi are just two girls, in their twenties, trying to make a living in Manhattan with enough money left over to buy some weed. Amy Poehler, a co-producer of the show, revealed in an interview that the show is a condensed version of their actual friendship and Broad City is exactly that. The show features two best friends making light of life’s challenges as post grads living in an expensive and fast paced city. This show is unique because of its crass humor. In the first episode (of the second season), the two girls decide to go into a clothing store and you see Llana checking out her vagina in the dressing room, while telling her friend about a great moment she saw in a celebrity sex tape.

The show Broad City originally began as a web series on YouTube, but got picked up by Amy Poehler on Comedy Central. Both Llana and Abbi started the mini-series online as a way to create their own comedy portfolio. They then reached out to Amy Poehler, asking her to appear in an episode. After saying yes, Poehler eventually helped them develop a pilot, which they took to FX (who would eventually turn it down). However, Comedy Central soon picked up the show and the show is now on its second season.

Personally, I love that this show celebrates two independent women in comedy, doing and saying whatever they want in a way that is almost refreshing to television shows. For example, in an episode Llana and Abbi are video chatting and all is well until Abbi figures out that Llana’s man friend, played by Hanibal Buress, is underneath Llana. Suddenly, Abbi realizes her friend’s casual bouncing isn’t so casual. Believe me, it’s pretty hard not to laugh at that scene. I also love that both Llana and Abbi have a very sexual (or toilet) humor that’s usually reserved for male characters. 

When it comes down to it, Broad City is just about the friendship between Abbi and Llana and all of the crazy stuff that they do. I honestly can’t wait to see what happens next! 

Photo Credits: 1, 2

Source: 1