#BlackWomenAtWork: A Response to Discrimination in the Workplace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

In the last 24 hours, Politician Maxine Waters and White House Correspondent April Ryan were both publicly attacked. These two incidents are just a couple of the many similar attacks that happen every day to black women in the workplace. Nothing much has changed for us in this country- it is still very racially divided and there is still a lot of tension. It is hard and extremely trying to be a black woman in the workplace because of the constant discrimination within the workplace. Missouri activist Brittany Packnett said that she started #BlackWomenAtWork to, “challenge non-black people to stand with black women not just when this happens on television, but in the cube right next to them.”

Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly mocked Maxine Waters’ appearance on his show, saying, “I didn’t hear a word she said. I was looking at the James Brown wig. If we have a picture of James, it’s the same wig.”

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer reprimanded April Ryan for shaking her head while he spoke during a press conference.

Both of these acts of discrimination occurred on live TV, which sparked the national conversation lead by #BlackWomenAtWork on Twitter. #BlackWomenAtWork tells the stories of astonishing but not surprisinig acts of dicscrimination from fellow coworkes, bosses, and even strangers. People need to step up for the everyday acts of discrimination toward black women that occur in everyone’s workplace. We all need to raise our voices and speak up.

Through micro and macro aggressions, black women are attacked with racially motivated stereotypes because we are misunderstood or judged for being smart, outspoken, and in charge. We are even judged for wearing our natural hair. Our natural hair is viewed as unprofessional and makes us look aggressive. Workplace discrimination is bringing black women down for being the awesome girl bosses that we are.

So, before you ask a black woman in your workplace if you can touch their hair, think twice.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Brittany Roberts is a Freshman at American University. Her major is Business and Entertainment. She plays the piano, violin, and guitar and loves poetry.