Kristen Bryant-Winky Face With Pills
Kristen Bryant-Winky Face With Pills
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness

Birth Control at AU’s Student Health Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

College students talk a lot about sex and are talked to about sex quite frequently. At orientation, we have Empower AU about safe sex and consent. All over campus, there are condom dispensers and promotional material for the Health Promotion and Advocacy Center. But one thing we rarely have discussions about, on campus, is how to get birth control (other than condoms).

Recently, I took on the challenge of trying to get birth control at the student health center. To make an appointment, you have to go onto the student health portal and pick a reason you want the appointment. There is no “reason” specifically for birth control; so if you want to see a gynecological provider you need to check STI testing, vaginal problems, or genital problem. I made an appointment to get tested for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs). 

In my appointment, (after she shamed me for occasionally practicing unprotected sex) I mentioned to the provider I saw that I was interested in birth control. She asked what I had in mind and I told her about my history with bad reactions to oral contraceptives, which is commonly referred to as “the pill.” I have tried multiple brands at multiple ages and each time it has worsened my depression. After I explained this to the provider, she informed me that the only birth control the student health center offers is the pill. 

birth control methods against pink and yellow background
Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition

Thus, the only resource the provider could offer me was a list of gynecologists in the DC Area. So the birth control options at American University are the birth control pill or go off campus to access it. Both of which are not necessarily accessible to the majority of folks at American University. For many people, like me, the birth control pill is not a safe option, but it’s the only option AU provides. 

There are at least eight birth control options that are FDA approved, and the AU Student Health Center only offers one. The birth control pill is only 90% effective, whereas the birth control implant and intrauterine device (IUD) yeilds a 99% effectiveness. The two most effective methods are also the two easiest methods to use, which means they are subject to the least amount of human error. And the only birth control option without any hormones is the Paraguard IUD. 

Unfortunately, American University only provides one option for birth control that is only accessible and safe for a certain number of people. If you need affordable and accessible birth control of any kind, here are some resources: 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Photos: Her Campus Media Library

Abby Henry, the President of Her Campus at American, uses she/her pronouns. She is a junior at American University studying Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies and Sociology. Her hometown is Canton, Ohio and she previously attended Syracuse University in New York. Her passions include but are not limited to transnational feminism, vegan chicken nuggets, and queer reproductive justice.
Hannah Andress

American '21

Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American. Currently an undergraduate student at American University involved in the Global Scholars program studying International Studies and Arabic. Preferred gender pronouns are she/her/hers. Her interests include national security, women in politics, international human and civil rights, and creating an impact that is long-lasting and sustainable.