Webpnet resizeimagepng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Webpnet resizeimagepng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The Lala
Style

Best Places to get Tattoos in DC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Getting a tattoo is becoming more mainstream nowadays, and everyone seems to be getting inked. But finding a reputable tattoo parlor can be nerve wracking. But don’t worry, there are a lot of great places in DC to get a tattoo!

Fatty’s Tattoos

Fatty’s has three locations in the DC area and does both tattoos and piercings. Because of COVID-19, they are accepting clients by appointment only (you can book online,) and they aren’t allowing additional guests. Prices start at $70. Our editor-in-chief Hannah Andress loves Fatty’s for getting her ink! Sophomore Alex Herrmann also had a positive experience here with her friend. 

Their Instagram profile shows off some really amazing designs of various sizes and styles from small ankle flowers to much larger intricate tattoo sleeves. Fatty’s was chosen as DC’s best tattoo parlor by the Washington City Paper.

Jinx Proof Tattoos

Jinx Proof Tattoos is located on M Street in Georgetown, and was the first tattoo shop to open in Washington, DC. They are also tattooing by appointment only due to COVID-19. Their website has a lot of info outlining their safety and health procedures that you can read, so you can feel safe going for a tattoo there. 

Students love Jinx Proof for both their trendy and more unique designs, as you can look through on their Instagram. The minimum price for tattoos here is $80; prices go up with size and placement. Additional guests are asked to wait in the lobby.

Tattoo Paradise

Tattoo Paradise now has three locations in Rockville, Wheaton, and Adams Morgan. Walk-ins are actually welcome here, and they often have guest tattoo artists from all over the globe. 

Most of their work is traditional design, but you can find all kinds of tattoos on their Instagram profile. My personal favorite is the recent RBG arm ink. Clients are encouraged to call or email the shop with questions or appointment requests.

Bethesda Tattoo

Bethesda Tattoo is right outside DC, just a couple metro stops from campus. Their new protocol for COVID-19 includes limiting store capacity, temperature checks, and required face masks. You must make an appointment, but they often have same-day appointments available.

The minimum price here is $100. Their Instagram shows off some amazing work with color and unique designs. You can also check out each artist’s work to see how your taste matches up. Students love the high-quality work done at Bethesda Tattoo.

Embassy Tattoo

Embassy Tattoo has one location nearby in Adams Morgan that is easily accessible by metro or bus. They are doing a lot to protect customers during the pandemic including mandatory masks and social distancing inside, which sophomore Barbie Goldstein appreciates as she plans to go back soon. “They’re doing a lot to stay safe,” she said. They have instructions on their website for caring for your tattoo after you get it, and they’re also able to do cover ups.

Not everyone has had a positive experience at Embassy though. Senior Alyssa Blythe says her piecing wasn’t done completely straight, so it had problems healing. Many students swear by their “$20 Tuesdays” tattoo deal though including Blythe. You can see lots of their modern and fun designs on their Instagram.

Marissa is a junior at American University with two majors in journalism and psychology. She is also involved in other clubs at AU in addition to being a member of Sigma Kappa sorority. She loves writing and being the Business Director for Her Campus American. Outside of school, Marissa loves writing poetry, traveling, and sipping strawberry lemonade. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @rissparisi!