The Best of the 2012 Academy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The Academy Awards have been the highlight of my February/ March since 1998. Yes, I was 7 when I first started watching. Yes, I watched because of my ridiculous love for Titanic. And yes, this obsession was sparked by my stalker-like obsession with Leo. Over the past 14 years, a lot about the Awards has changed, except for my love of Titanic (April 4—3D!). Hosts have ranged from Hugh Jackman to Chris Rock to Billy Crystal. Some stars have fallen while others have risen. Award categories have expanded and the Clooney jokes have intensified. However, two things remain the same: the entertainment industry’s fascination with the best dressed and the Award winners. But what about the rest of the show? Beyond the world of best dressed and award winners were a few moments that shocked us, made us laugh, and made us cry during the 2012 Academy Awards. Here are the “best of” these moments.

Best Bromance: George Clooney and Billy Crystal

Watch out Brad Pitt. Billy is in town and looking to steal your main man. During Billy Crystal’s opening montage, he and George Clooney shared an intimate kiss during a parody of The Descendants. Not only was the clip played during the show, but Crystal kept joking about the kiss throughout the show. I can only assume this was part of an evil plot to steal Clooney away from his one and only, Brad. 

Best Body Part: Angelina Jolie’s Right Leg
Going into this Academy Awards, I did not realize this would be such a competitive category. There were three very strong contenders, but in true Oscar fashion only one could win. Both Bradley Cooper’s mustache and J.Lo’s nip were nominated for this category, but Angie’s leg prevailed. Cooper and J. Lo’s exhibitions were so been-there-done-that while Angelina’s wide legged stance was unique and sure to be a trend this season. Check out these nominees on Twitter: @AngiesRightLeg @JLosNipple and @BradleysStache

Best Controversial Moment: Seacrest getting “urned” by the Dictator
Who knew watching the pre-show would provide one of the greatest moments of the evening? There was something fishy about the Dictator from the minute he began talking with Ryan Seacrest. Seacrest’s reaction to having an urn dumped on him was priceless. The ultimate lessons of this escapade: when a dictator is cremated he turns into Bisquick, pancake mix does not come out of Burberry suits or the red carpet, and lastly, God bless live TV!

Best Speech: Octavia Spencer
For the last category, I will turn the serious on for a few seconds. Octavia Spencer made me do something for the first time while watching the Oscars: tear up. Her speech and joy was so pure and true. Even though she was the favorite to win, she brought a tear to my eye because of her raw joy and happiness, especially when she was essentially dragged onto the stage. Her pleas to get her off the stage were so genuine and emotionally charged. I loved seeing this type of energy in contrast to many actors scripted reactions. 

Photo credits:
http://mtv.mtvnimages.com/shared/promoimages/movies/o/oscar_2012/billy_crystal_opening_022612/promo_new/281×211.jpg?quality=0.85 
http://ganyobinaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/angelina-jolie-620_2151514b.jpg
http://www.aforadio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Sacha-Baron-Cohen-Spilling-Ashes-On-Ryan-Seacrest.jpg
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/octavia-spencer-win-1.jpg

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.