This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, many people have struggled with their mental and physical health. Having to socially distance with limited access to medical care can have detrimental effects on people. As months have gone on since the start of the epidemic, our society has adapted to a temporary normal until proper vaccines and treatments can be developed l. Doctors have begun conducting appointments virtually through telemedicine for many different types of visits. Stores, restaurants, farmers markets, malls, and many other businesses have opened up under strict guidelines. While this has given people the opportunity to venture out of their homes for the first time in a while, many still can’t help but feel alone due to the firm social distancing guidelines that are still set in place. With millions of colleges across the country, American University included, deciding to go completely online for the fall semester, young people especially feel lonely with not many opportunities for social interaction. 

Photo by Veronika Homchis from Unsplash
It has been said that humans are social beings and we need social interaction to survive. Due to the current state of COVID-19, it is difficult for us to socialize, which then makes many of us feel lost, but there is an amazing solution to this feeling of loneliness. Just like humans, animals also crave social interaction. In fact, it has been scientifically proven that when we humans spend time with animals, our brains release neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and serotonin, which help to heal physical pain, depression, anxiety, and OCD. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people who own pets have decreased blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. If more people rescue an animal during the COVID-19 pandemic, they won’t feel as alone because they are giving a sweet, innocent animal a loving home for life. 

In my search to get the most relevant information on rescuing animals during this COVID-19 era we are in, I spoke with two different people who foster dogs, one in the Boston area and one near New York City. Carolyn Donovan fosters dogs, and in fact, took care of one during the pandemic. She fostered a 9 year-old Shih Tzu-Mix named Lollie who was fortunately adopted by a loving family  in early October. 

Photo by Adrianna Calvo from Pexels
“The benefits are twofold, the first is for Lollie, she no longer had to stay in a shelter spending her days and nights mostly in a crate. She got to sleep on either my bed or a comfortable dog bed! She got lots of attention and love while she was with me! Also, the rescue group took care of her medical needs… she was spayed [a procedure that prevents female dogs from reproducing], had dental work, she got chipped, and had two masses removed that were thankfully not cancerous and got medicine for an ear infection. The other benefit was for me. She brought so much joy to me and to all who had the opportunity to meet her. She’s a happy girl, always wagging her tail,” Donovan says. 

Donovan is indeed right when she says that Lollie brings joy to anyone who has the opportunity to meet her– trust me, I’ve met Lollie. In addition to Lollie, Donovan has a dog named Fiona who she rescued years ago. Donovan works for All Dog Rescue, an organization based in Natick, Massachusetts. This organization only deals  with dogs from Massachusetts in order to ensure as many dogs as possible get homes. 

I also spoke with Tanya Sotomayor, the phenomenal woman who fostered my dog, Bailey. Two years ago, after what felt like an eternity of begging my family to get a dog, we finally went to an adoption event at the local pet store where I live, and we fell in love with Bailey. We got her from a rescue organization called Adore-A-Bullie, which is based in New York City. Similar to Donovan, Sotomayor helped to get Bailey the proper medical care she needed and trained Bailey. 

Sotomayor says, “Many people have opened their homes while on lockdown or working from homes by fostering which has increased the number of adoptions or lowered return rates since the animals are being familiarized with home life in terms of environment and socialization. Lots of people have become foster failures by falling in love with the animals they’ve fostered and since people have more time at home it’s allowed them to finally welcome new furry family members to their home that they otherwise worried they didn’t have time to acclimate into home life. According to the ASPCA [American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals] in Los Angeles reported double the adoption rates during the same time in years past and half the rates of returns for companion animals. The ACC [Animal Care Centers] in New York City reported a 25% increase in foster animals at the start of the pandemic that by late June were adopted by their fosters.” 

Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
Animals simply make our lives whole. I don’t know what I would have done during quarantine without my dog, Bailey, to support me. She was the one that sat by my side as I studied for my exams, watched rom-coms, and made sure I got outside (six feet apart from everyone and wearing a mask, of course) to take her on brisk walks outside. If anyone is able to rescue and/or foster an animal during the COVID-19 pandemic, it will change your world for the better. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Photos: Her Campus Media Library

Shira Cohen is a Sophomore at American University majoring in American Studies with Minors in Psychology and Political Science on the Pre-Law track. In her free time in addition to writing, she loves reading, baking, and listening to classical music!