priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

Avoiding The ‘TurkeyDump:’ How To Survive A Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

So you’ve made it thus far with your high school significant other, and you’re feeling kind of rocky. College is full of exciting opportunities, new cuties to flirt with, and crazy schedules. This long distance relationship you agreed to may seem harder than expected, and you’re nervous to go home and see your LDR for the first time since high school during Thanksgiving.  But have no fear ladies, because you still have a month to mend your relationship and remember why you fell in love with that cutie from back home.

Have A Set “Visit Schedule”

One of the most difficult parts of a LDR is not physically being with your significant other. Make sure you have an understanding of how often you plan to see each other and that it’s realistic. Planning to visit only on breaks may not be enough to keep the relationship alive, and monthly or bi-monthly visits may be necessary. Try switching off turns to travel to each other and split travel costs if it gets too pricey. Can’t afford to fly? Greyhound and Mega Bus travel are great alternatives. Also, make sure to always know the next time you will see your LDR. Having a plan for the next visit makes leaving them a lot easier.

Stay Connected

Twenty Years ago a LDR seemed like a crazy idea, but nowadays with all the technology keeping us close to those far away, it can be a lot easier to stay connected in a LDR. Set up regular Skype dates with your significant other, call each other for a quick hello if you’re going to have a busy day, and shoot a quick text update on what you’re up to. A huge problem with LDR is feeling disconnected from your significant others life. They have new friends and live in a new environment. They have a life you know nothing about in their new school, and you may feel a little left out. Have them tell you about their friends and classes, meet their roommates on Skype, and continue to share exciting news about your life. Stay connected through funny Snapchats or post funny pictures or Buzzfeed articles on their Facebook timelines. Make sure you’re doing more then just texting good morning and goodnight.

Communicate

A major relationship bomb is when you don’t know what your significant other is thinking. Communication is key in a LDR, in fact it may be one of the benefits of being so far away. A LDR gives you a prime opportunity to get to know your significant other on another level, because you really have to keep up conversation. Make sure you set common expectations of each other. Be honest if you’re unhappy with how much or how little you talk. Be realistic with your expectations and be verbal with them, never assume your significant other knows what you’re thinking. Don’t be afraid to tell them of your insecurities, if they really love you they will be understanding and want to help make you feel more secure. There may be a lot of tears at times, but honesty and trust is the key to keeping your relationship solid so far away.

Respect Each Other

Make sure you always respect the life your significant other has outside of your relationship. Committing yourself to a relationship long distance involves the understanding that they have a life outside of you. It may seem silly to want alone time when you’re in a LDR, but ensuring you spend time with your friends will help you feel happy even without your significant other around you all the time. Keep in mind: just like you may want nights out, that they may also. Make sure you set expectations for nights out. Let them know if dancing with other girls is allowed, and always think how you would feel if they were doing what you plan to do. Always keep their feelings in check. It may be one of the hardest things to go out with all your friends when your significant other is so far away or to have them go out for a night when you’re stuck in studying. Keep in mind that a good relationship is built on trust, and you have to respect their alone time. Also, it’s very important to respect your significant other’s need to get their work done and study. There may be days you can talk more than others, and that’s ok!

Act Like A Couple

No matter how far you are from each other and how long you have been together, never lose the spark that brought you together! Send each other care packages just because. Include fun gifts that remind you of them. Include their favorite foods and candies, books, toys, key chains, clothes, posters, or whatever they may like. (Tip: Urban Outfitters has awesome couple presents). Just because you’re far away doesn’t mean you can’t have date nights! Go grab Starbucks and have a Skype coffee date or watch your favorite movie or TV show together via Skype and then discuss the crazy endings. Also, don’t underestimate the power of flirting. Acting “coupley” can help ease the pain of seeing all the other cute couples on campus, and help you feel loved from across the country.

The distance maybe long, but your love isn’t lost!

Image sources: 1 2 3 4 5

Last image property of author