AU’s Holi Festival: An Explosion of Color

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

On Sunday, April 7th, 2013, the grassy Quad just outside of American University’s Kay Spiritual Center was under a beautiful siege. Bursts of bright hues appeared above and quickly rained down like fireworks upon a massive crowd of students in celebration of the Indian Holi Festival of Color. As powders of pink, orange and yellow hues were thrown into the air, students sprayed colored water at one another. Students enjoyed soda and traditional Indian samosas.Toothy grins were constantly flashed. AU’s cultural appreciation became instantly apparent as the thundering Indian and American music united the festival-goers of all backgrounds in a trance-like state. Students arrived in clean clothes, and emerged caked in concentrated, vivid colors. As people left the event and disseminated across campus to their respective locations, it became obvious to non-attendees that they had taken part in an extraordinary event. AU’s Holi festival on the Quad was truly a feast for the eyes.

The event was hosted by the South Asian Student Association. Cosponsors included multiple groups, such as: AU Student Government, AU Muslim Student Association, Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI), AU Bhangra and the Residence Hall Association. Music was provided by Naiem Reza.

The Holi festival has much religious significance to Indian culture. The Hindu ritual is based off of a traditional story featuring the prince Prahlada. In the narrative, the figure praised the god Vishnu against the wishes of his father and aunt. They both forced Prahlada to sit in the center of a blazing inferno to punish him. Fortunately, the prince was spared from death by Vishnu, and was not charred by the flames. Although AU’s Holi festival did not feature a bonfire, it is included in many public celebrations, in addition to the powder and water.

The Holi Festival at AU helped students of all walks of life greet the spring season with sheer euphoria.