AU Swimming & Diving Takes On The White House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Over the winter break, the AU Swimming and Diving team came back two weeks early to train for what they call ‘training trip’. Though it is usually a trip to Florida, this year the team stayed in DC to save up for an exceptional destination for next year’s trip. The purpose of this winter training is to pick up the intensity and get the team into fighting shape for their Patriot League Conference meet in February. With tiring double practice sessions every day, the team took a break once every few days to visit exciting places around DC, such as the National Cathedral, the National Air and Space Museum Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center, and the White House. The team was thrilled to go to the White House and tour the East Wing, where they walked through the East Room, Green Room, Blue Room, Red Room, and State Dining Room. Fun fact: the Red Room is the favorite room of most first ladies! First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy first used the room as a parlor and music room for get-togethers. Some lucky team members even got to see Bo, the first dog, on his morning walk on the white house lawn. Just a typical day for an AU scholar athlete. 

Photo credit: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/White-house-floor1-red-room.jpg and AU Swimming and Diving

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.