Apply Where? Your Internship Resource Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Freaking out realizing you don’t have an internship for the summer yet? You are not alone! Sorting through the Internet’s unlimited resources to find an internship is a daunting task. Want to work in corporate or non-profit setting? Are you willing to not get paid? How many hours can you work? By narrowing down what you want to get out of an internship, the location, and industry you help limit your search. Although here at Her Campus AU we’re not employers, we have a great amount of internship experience under our belts. Here is a list of websites filled with hundreds of internships, application guides, and tips.

Internships.com

The title says it all. An extremely comprehensive site, Internships.com is a great place to start if you have never searched before and/or want to see a range of offerings. By just entering your desired work location and your major the database brings up hundreds of career opportunities. The site also has several resources about the basics of interning. These sections include interviews with other college students who have interned at stellar places, like The Jimmy Kimmel Show.

Internship Match

A more tailored site, Internship Match has three main areas of focus including Campus Hubs, several tools and a lot of socially responsible companies. Extremely easy to use and sorted by location, go to Internship Match if you are looking to work in a major city. Once on a city’s page, the listings are also sorted by major/subject area. Each listing has great details about the position including time frame of applying, application process and deadline. 

Ed2010

Looking to join the magazine industry? Ed2010 is undoubtedly the best place to go. Updated daily with new listings, this site is where all major publications, including Glamour, Time Out New York and RedBook, find interns. Each listing includes contact information, materials to submit, and location. Be sure to follow Ed on Twitter to know if your dream internship is posted as soon as it is. 

DC Internships

Want to intern in Washington this summer? Strictly for working in the district, DC Internships is a great program put on by The Fund for American Studies. Students live at GWU and get to choose from different fields including International Relations, Journalism and Legal Studies. For those looking for an enclosed program this is a great way to go. 

Constantly refreshing your Twitter? Check out these accounts to follow for internship advice and postings.

Want to talk to someone face to face? Visit the AU Career Center! Their website has a plethora of resources including resume building, an intern blog and networking basics

Image Credit:

http://www.calvin.edu/~dsc8/im…

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.