American University Proposes Program Offering Discounted Metro Rides

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Here at American University, we all love taking the Metro. Since the Tenleytown Metro station is close to American, it’s the easiest way to get to anywhere else in the city, but taking the Metro for work, class and recreation can get a bit expensive. However, American University has recently proposed a new plan to make taking the Metro easier and inexpensive for all full-time students.

American University has teamed up with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) to potentially offer full-time students an unlimited Metro pass for $130 per semester, or about $1 a day. This would come out to be $260 per academic year. The pass would be a mandatory fee and would be included in college tuition, making it eligible to be covered by financial aid. American University is the first college in D.C. to offer the pass, and the 2016-2017 academic year would be a pilot year to try out the program. 

So, does this program sound like a good idea to you? No matter your opinion of the program, make sure to vote on the referendum on the myAU portal from Monday, February 29-Friday, March 4 to have AU take advantage of this great opportunity! 

Find out more about the program here.

Photo Credit: 1

Kiely is a sophomore at American University studying art history. She loves literature, museums, coffee, and cupcakes.