Culture > News

American University Cancels Classes on Election Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Washington D.C.— On Monday afternoon in an email to the American University community University President Sylvia Burwell announced all classes are cancelled on Election Day, Tuesday November 6, 2020. Election day is now a university holiday along with the Presidential Inauguration on election years.

University offices that are working remotely at this time, are also going to be closed as a paid day off. This decision is in order to promote democracy and encourage community members to go out and vote in the upcoming 2020 Presidential Election. “Exercising the right to vote is something we cherish, and we are proud to stand with our community,” said Burwell in the email.

Burwell states that American University has remained among the top politically active campuses in the nation. With mention of organizations on campus, The Sine Institute of Policy and Politics and the Kennedy Political Union (who hosted an event with Dr. Fauci on Tuesday); aiding students to engage in politics and promote open political conversation. “That just scratches the surface of our work in civic discourse, advocacy, and research,” said Burwell.

This election is different from any other due to COVID. For many voters voting early is the best option, while others will wait to vote at the polls during election day. Regardless, the means by which community members plan to vote American University is acknowledging the importance of the Presidential Election.

“Civic engagement and pursuit of American democratic ideals is part of AU’s DNA,” said Burwell. “Beyond just our location in the nation’s capital, American University was founded on the principles of service and training future generations of our country’s leaders.”

Sources: 1, 2, 3 

Photos: Her Campus Media

Allesandra is a senior at American University majoring in Journalism with a minor in Legal Studies. She is the Vice President of Her Campus at American University. She enjoys writing on Woman's Health Care, Politics and Student Advocacy. She loves to travel and read; She recommends "The Alchemist." Her pronouns are She/Her/Hers.