American Under Investigation for Title IX Complaint — What Does It Mean?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

On March 18, 2015 American University’s Dean of Students, Rob Hradsky, distributed a press release notifying the student body that AU has received a Title IX complaint. So what exactly does this mean? Let’s break it down.

Defining Title IX

Title IX is part of the Education Amendments of 1972 and states that people cannot be discriminated against on the basis of sex in education programs and activities that receive federal funding. Title IX discriminations include sexual harassment, discrimination against pregnant individuals, and failure to provide equal opportunities in athletics to both sexes. The Office for Civil Rights within the Department of Education is responsible for enforcing Title IX.

So what is a Title IX complaint?

When a school is placed under Title IX investigation it means that an official complaint has been field with the Office for Civil Rights regarding how the university handled a reported sexual assault case.

“Title IX protects a student’s right to an education regardless of sex. It relates to sexual assault in that a sexual assault can severely inhibit a student’s ability to participate in academic and social life on campus,” said Chelsea Cirruzzo, an American University student and intern for RAINN, “If a university receives a complaint or a report from a student about a sexual assault, they are required to follow certain procedures set forth by Title IX in order to best investigate the report and ensure that the victim can continue to take part in their education on campus.”

Receiving a Title IX complaint and being placed on the list among the other 103 universities under investigation is a serious matter. Yet, Catherine E. Lhamon who is the Assistant Secretary for the Office of Civil Rights has said that when a university is placed on the list and put under investigation, it does not mean that the university has necessarily violated the law, it means that an official complaint has been filed. 

American is the second DC university to be added to investigation list, joining Catholic University which was added in January 2014. Other prestigious universities under investigation include Harvard University, Princeton University, Dartmouth College, Swarthmore College, and recently, the University of Virginia.

In the press release that was distributed on Wednesday, Dean Hradsky wrote, “AU does not tolerate any form of sexual violence or sexual misconduct. University complaints are investigated promptly, reported properly, and steps are immediately taken to stop discriminatory behavior, prevent its recurrence and remedy its effects, especially through support to the survivor.”

Student Response

For many students, this investigation does not come as a surprise. Student activist groups on campus have been calling on the university for greater transparency when it comes to sexual assault prevention education and procedures for how reported cases are handled. Check out these student clubs, reports, and meetings over the past year that have demanded the university be more proactive with sexual assault prevention and consider mandatory comprehensive sexual assault prevention education for the entire student body.

• Last spring Dean Hradsky held a Town Hall meeting for American students and faculty on the progress of sexual assault prevention on campus.  You can learn about the AU administration’s response to students’ criticism of the university’s lack of seriousness when it comes to sexual assault prevention by reading my two-part series coverage on the Town Hall meeting and the question and answer session.
  • Formation of the advocates group AU Students Against Sexual Violence 
  • November 10, 2014 AU Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention Task Force presented its Report & Recommendations to the AU community 
  • Formation of the AU Men of Strength club, an organization that works to redefine masculinity and eliminate sexual assault and power-based violence 

Review of What AU has been doing:

1. ­Summer 2009 – The Dean of Students created the Sexual Assault Working Group to recommend additional support services the university can provide for survivors of sexual violence.
  2. Hired a full-time Sexual Assault Prevention Coordinator who serves as a confidential victim advocate who can always be reached at rappapor@american.edu or 202-885-3055.
  3. Spring 2014- Discussed compliance with the 2014 SaVE Act at a Town Hall meeting in April 2014
  4. Fall 2015- Introduction of the Step Up program
  5. Fall 2015 – Hired a Full-Time Survivors Advocate in response to a petition by American students

Evidently, the American administration has been making strives to improve sexual assault prevention and education on campus. The questions is has it been enough and what else can the administration do to protect the student body and better provide a safe, inclusive environment for every student? What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us with your opinions! 

Photo Credits:

1, 2, 3

Emma is a sophomore at American University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Political Science and Women's Studies. She loves to write, journal, and blog in her free time. Emma is a Communications Intern at the Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE), a non-profit in DC. She is a social media editor for Her Campus American.
Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.