Activism at AU #HerStoryAtAU Edition: Tatiana Laing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Activism at AU is a series devoted to highlighting activists at American University. To celebrate Women’s History Month, AUSG Women’s Initiative is teaming up with Kennedy Political Union and Her Campus to highlight feminist activists who are making a difference on campus and in the community, as a subseries of Activism at AU. The month will culminate with Wonk of the Year Donna Brazile on March 24th and a special Women’s History Month speaker to be announced March 14th. Click here to learn more.

Name: Tatiana Laing

Year: Class of 2016

Major: CLEG 

Her Campus American University: What kind of advocacy have you been involved in both on and off campus?

Tatiana Laing: Generally speaking, I’m active on issues of racial and criminal justice as well the issues that face women of color, black women in particular. As one of the founders of The Darkening I have been active in demanding institutional change here at AU, in the way that we address race and racism. I’ve also created workshops and trainings that help students understand structural racism and how to be an ally.

Inherent to my advocacy on racism here at AU, is my demand that the issues of black women in particular be recognized and fought for as well. Also, I was previously the chair of the Ethnic and Cultural Coalition of Student Government, where I advocated on behalf of cultural student organizations. In addition, I was an alternative breaks leader last year, and student coordinator this year. Off campus, I’ve been active against police brutality and other issues with the criminal justice system that primary effect black people. This has included demonstrations, protests, workshops and issue campaigns.

HCAU: What do the issues you work with mean to you personally?

TL: I personally identify as a black feminist or womanist, though they’re not completely the same thing. Though I advocate for a wide range of issues, they all intersect with who I am in some way. I am a black woman. Whether the issue is mass incarceration, climate change, voting rights, police brutality, representation or sexual assault, black women are at the center of the population that is primarily affected. Even if I can’t see the effects of all of these social injustices on my own life, I know that I have sisters who can. That’s what makes this all so personal to me. Womanism and black feminism are, at the root, a sisterhood. By loving ourselves and each other, and fighting for each other, we are revolutionary because we exist in a world that tells us we are not capable of love.

HCAU: What drives you to keep advocating for what you believe in, even in the face of potential obstacles?

TL: I was raised by a father who is a pastor and a doctor. I think that a lot of my convictions come from my religion, but also from his emphasis on giving back and serving others. But as I got older, I realized that service alone wouldn’t change the systemic issues that cause inequality to exist. Today, I have a healthy balance of service and activism. I am motivated by my own experiences as a black woman, every day. I am motivated by the news of the experiences of black people across this country and across the world. My motivation, when I come upon an obstacle, is simply to overcome it. If I can tear down a barrier, it won’t be there for the next person of color. My motto is “It Couldn’t Be Done.” We only believe something is impossible, until someone achieves it.

HCAU: Describe one experience you felt reminded you of what you were fighting for?

TL: I think a great experience that I had recently, was just seeing what we’ve been able to achieve as of this week at AU. Seeing President Kerwin propose INSTITUTIONAL changes, which we have been organizing to demand for my entire time here at AU, is kind of surreal. It really reinforces my view that nothing is impossible. It reinforces my convictions that I should speak up, that we should not allow injustice to continue to exist in our communities. Silence just isn’t the way to go.