The Abroad Blog: A Parisian Start

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

This is part of our The Abroad Blog series, featuring our editors and writers exploring the world this semester.

Hello collegiettes! It’s your Editor-in-Chief, Claire, here, writing from Rome, Italy. Over the course of the semester I will be writing on the blog sharing some of my favorite and most memorable study abroad experiences this fall. A little over two weeks ago I boarded a plane, across the Atlantic to Paris, France to start off my study abroad experience with a friend who is also studying away from American this semester. For five days we roamed the city of light, fitting in all the necessary tourist extractions and took many unique to Paris stops including a stroll down Champs-Élysées with a crepe in hand. Although I am spending four months in Rome, my favorite European city is Paris so I made a point to spend time there before starting my program. My friend and I used Airbnb, an apartment rental service, for an affordable stay for five nights in a historic district called Le Marais. 

The amazing part about Paris is the transformation from day to night. No museum, restaurant, side street, or store is not worth seeing during the day and night; every building is beautifully lit. I was able to see a lot during my five days but a few spots stood out. First off, for years I have seen photos of the Ferris wheel in Place de la Concorde near the Louvre. Something about the Tuileries Garden and a carnival run stuck in my brain and when I walked over and saw the tip of the ride I knew I wanted to take a spin on it. The wheel gives incredible views of the city and was a nice break from the summer heat. Following that, we walked from the Louvre, through the Tuileries, across Place de la Concorde and down the Champs-Élysées. Despite the influx of tourists and lack of real French citizens, my friend and I enjoyed the shopping, walking into Marks and Spencer, Zara, and other chains that you could probably find the state but still want to check out abroad.

Over the next four days my friend and I went into the most incredible store that is made up of a clothing, coffee, and furniture store. Called Merci, it is tucked away on Boulevard beaumarchais in the 3rd arrondissement. Other places in Paris that are a must include Montemarte and Sacre Coeur, Chinemachine vintage, Place des Vosges (pictured first), and the view of the Eiffel Tower at night across from the Grand Palais. We walked around toward Les Invalides at around midnight on a Thursday and it was nearly empty. Although it rained earlier that day, it was warm enough and the best for snapping photos.

I am extremely fortunate to have the chance to be studying in a foreign country, not just working toward my degree but learning the culture and language of a different city. It can be challenging making sure all your credits and major requirements fit in to ensure you graduate on time but it is well worth the effort. Next time I will give an update on my time in Rome, where I will be this entire semester.

And finally, the best part of my trip so far? Seeing founder Editor-in-Chief, Lesley Siu, in Paris!

Want to see all my adventures aboard? Check my blog with my friend Lela, Streets & Sideways.

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.