Sports Girl Soccer Player
Sports Girl Soccer Player
Tiffany Meh / Spoon
Culture > News

A Score for the Girls Team: The U.S. Women’s Soccer Team will Receive Equal Pay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

In March 2019, the U.S. women’s soccer team filed a gender discrimination lawsuit against the U.S. Soccer Federation. The basis of the lawsuit was that the federation was for paying lower salaries to women and subjecting them to more dangerous playing conditions than their male counterparts, and they ask for nearly $67 million in back pay. 

On July 7, 2019, the U.S. women’s soccer team won their second consecutive world cup, propenting the crowd to cheer “Equal Pay! Equal Pay!” in their victory. This victory was especially monumental because the U.S. men’s team never advanced past the quarterfinals in the modern-era World Cup. 

Despite the U.S. Women’s talent, U.S. Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro stated on Mar. 11, 2020, that the women’s team has “less skill” than the men, a statement which would lead him to resign the following day. Shortly after, a U.S. District Court judge in California rejected the notion that the U.S. women’s players have been underpaid as they have a “different pay structure.” This sparked Presidential candidate, Joe Biden, to threaten cutting the funding for the 2026 Men’s World Cup in the United States unless U.S. Soccer agrees to give the women equal pay, if elected.

On Feb. 22, 2022, the team reached a $24 million settlement with U.S. Soccer, who also agreed to pay men and women equally from now on. The settlement also included a $2 million foundation for women’s and girl’s soccer. The milestone was greatly important and monumental for women in the sports industry. However, they still have far to go and there are still many questions to be addressed in terms of equality in various U.S. sports and pay gaps.

With this goal met for the U.S. women’s soccer team it brings to light the discrimination that women still face everyday within the workforce. Women have always faced inequality and prejudice during sports, as sports have been coined to be “masculine” and “for men”, however the strength that the women’s soccer team showed on and off the field highlights the strength women have.

Hannah Arthur

American '25

Hannah is a sophomore at American University and is majoring in Public Health, with a minor in International Relations. She plans to focus on global health and women's and children's bodily autonomy. She is the business director of HCAU and is passionate about equal rights and access to equal education.