8 Things Vegetarians Are Tired Of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

When you become a vegetarian, there are things you learn to live with. You will spend forever trying to find the perfect veggie burger. The world will continue to put obscene amounts of spice in your tofu, because no one believes it can be cooked normally. The list varies. But one thing every vegetarian understands are the questions we get. For those of you who have yet to experience the constant hassle of having to explain to friends, family, strangers on the bus, the value of beans as a protein substitute, consider yourselves lucky. Below I’ve comprised answers to some of the most basic questions vegeatarians get asked, so you can be the most prepared vegetarian on the block. Enjoy!

“But don’t you miss bacon?”

No, I don’t. If I did, I’d be eating some.

“You’re so brave. I could never eat tofu.”

You said it, not me.

“So what do you eat? Like Lettuce?”

Is that the only vegetable you know? Or….

“So would you get mad at me if I ate this burger?”

Not my mouth, not my problem. #SorryNotSorry

“I tried to be a vegetarian once. I couldn’t do it.”

Willpower game weak. But what does that have to do with me?

“So where do you get your protein from?”

Beans, Rice, Quinoa, Protein Substitute. There’s actually a lot of things that can substitute meat.

“Why do you eat meat substitute then? Isn’t that the same thing?”

No, it’s not. It’s made of soy or tofu usually. If it was the same thing, it just be called meat.

“Hey, try some of this! Oh wait, I forgot you’re a vegetarian.”

Is this going to be a daily thing? Because if so, I’ll eat somewhere else. 

Photo/ GIF credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Public Communications Major and Multi-Ethnic Studies Minor at American University. Junior. Free Spirit. Dreamer. Master of tripping over own two feet.