8 Things To Know About DC’s Legalization of Marijuana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With the 2014 midterm elections coming to a close, District voters made their voices heard. Initiative 71 was passed and marijuana in the district is now legal. Before going out on the mall and celebrating make sure you know the facts about marijuana becoming legal in Washington, DC. 

1. It’s not legal yet. Marijuana in D.C., is not legal until the initiative goes through congressional review. This will most likely not end until February or March. Thus, if you are caught with marijuana before than you will still face legal consequences. 
  2. You have to be 21. Marijuana becoming legalized is similar to the laws put on alcohol. If you are caught with marijuana under the age of 21 you are committing an illegal act. This also means that if you are 21 and older you can’t give or sell marijuana to someone under the age of 21. 
  3. If you are over 21, you can grow six marijuana plants. Except only 3 can be flowering at a time, in your personal residence.
  4. You can have up to two ounces of marijuana before it’s illegal. You can only have, in your possession, up to two ounces of marijuana. But, if you are transferring marijuana you can only carry up to one ounce. 
  5. You can’t (and never should) drive while high. Driving with marijuana in your system you can get a DUI, just like driving while drunk. Make sure to use the metro or walk next time you decide to smoke. 
  6. You can transfer up to one ounce of marijuana at a time “without remuneration.” You can drive, or walk around with one ounce of marijuana without being under the influence of it at a time without facing an legal consequences.
  7. Congress can undo Initiative 71. According to law, congress has 60 days to undo initiative 71. It might be best to wait until January for those excited about the legalization of marijuana. There is a chance that this may not happen due to when DC City Council made possessing up to an ounce of marijuana a citable offense with only a $25 fine earlier this year and congress let that action take effect. 
  8. You can’t sell marijuana. This does not create a legal market for marijuana. Within Initiative 71, it does not say or permit the ability to create a legal and regulated market for marijuana. So, if this initiative makes it through congress, you can still not sell marijuana. You can grow it, have it, and use it but are not allowed to sell it. 

Remember to inform yourself about the rules regarding the legalization of marijuana. It is also important to remember the rules regarding marijuana on private property, such as American University. Because American is private property they have the right to regulate the use of marijuana on their grounds. As a smoke free and drug free campus the possesion and use of marijuana still stands as a violation as American University’s code of conduct

To learn more about Initiative 71, check herehere and be safe. 

Photo credit: 1