8 Reasons Why You Need to Register to Vote Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Today is National Registration Day! Haven’t registered to vote yet? Here’s eight reasons why this year’s upcoming elections are important for you to vote! 

1. It’s a fact, young people don’t vote. This means that the voice and opinions of millions of young adults are not heard every election, even when the bills on the ballot effect us the most. Imagine if every young women (aged 18-24) voted, things would be a little different. Let your voice be heard, and encourage others to do the same. Only 38% of young adults voted in the 2012 election compared to 63% of adults ages 45 to 64. 
  2. Birth control, anyone? It’s your body, and the government shouldn’t control what choices you’re capable of making regarding birth control. In some states, issues regarding birth control and abortion are on the ballot. These things effect women directly, and if you don’t register and don’t vote then your opinion isn’t being heard. Take the power into your own hands and vote. 
  3. Legalizing Marijuana. It’s one thing to sign a petition on the quad or to agree with it in conversation but if you actually want marijuana to be legalized, vote. Legalizing marijuana is on multiple state ballots this year and this is your chance to have a say whether marijuana gets legalized. Whether you agree with it or not, vote anyway because your opinion matters! 
  4. Who is in power? Climate change, minimum wage, and college loans are all issues that your representative (in DC) is in control of. What they vote for, and the bills they pass or support effect you. Having young adults vote for someone who will represent them well is crucial in upcoming elections. Choose someone who will represent you and support the issues that matter to you most! 
  5. Don’t vote? Can’t complain. If you don’t vote, or don’t even register to vote you have no place complaining about issues or politicians. Democracy only works when you participate. You have to vote in order to stand up for what you beleive, cause if you don’t who will? (72% of seniors vote, do you really want them making all the decisions)?
  6. Who you elect for senate (and president) is who will nominate the supreme court. The supreme court makes BIG decisions that can effect you. Remember Burwell vs Hobby Lobby Stores Inc? The Supreme Court voted that companies can determine whether certain types birth control are covered by insurance. Wouldn’t you want a say in who chooses those judges? Well you will, if you vote! 
  7. Equal pay. In 2012 the U.S. Census Bureau reported that overall women get paid 77 cents for every dollar that men earn, even if they hold the same position. Seem unfair? Maybe if we had more women in power or elected officials that support equal pay, this would change. Even this year congress didn’t pass the Paycheck Fairness Act that would enforce equal pay and prohibit sex discrimination surrounding wages. (Btw only 18.5% of the people who make up congress right now are women!) 
  8. It’s easy and free. Registering to vote is easier than you think, so easy that you can even do it from your phone. 

At the end of the day it’s your choice whether you participate in democracy or not, but if you want change or want to protect your rights, then vote. It’s easy, important and your vote counts. There’s 31.5 million young adults in America that are eligible to vote and only 38% of them voted last presidential election. Imagine if the other 19.5 million voted. Be a part of this democracy and help create great change for our generation. 

Register herehere, or go to your states government website!