This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Netflix is the go-to streaming platform for most internet users. In recent years, Netflix has been developing its brand through the creation of Netflix Originals ranging from shows to movies and docuseries. These originals add value to the Netflix brand, whether it be through the important messages they portray or the popular stars that are showcased. Here are eight Netflix Originals you should watch now.

1. Big Mouth

This animated series has major shock value. The series is centered around a group of tweens that are beginning to go through puberty. There is a comedic approach to this awkward topic, showcased by the awful hormone monsters and the various incidents that occur to this group of friends. This show is extremely raunchy but does offer laughs at the pains of puberty and adolescence while addressing awkward and downright weird situations that occur. Currently there is only one season on Netflix, but its a quick watch for those that are a little more brazen when it comes to their streaming choices.

2. BoJack Horseman

This animated series takes a hard look at the world of depression and addictive behaviors. The show centers around none other than BoJack Horseman, a washed up TV star who suffers from depression and alcoholism. Throughout the four seasons currently on Netflix, BoJack’s depression and the mental and physical health issues that many of the other characters face are approached in serious yet comedic ways. Each episode leaves you wanting more and creates a love hate relationship with BoJack.

3. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

As the title states, this show follows Kimmy Schmidt, a kidnapping survivor known as one of the “Indiana Mole Women”. Kimmy’s “unbreakable” characteristic is showcased as she is freed from the underground bunker and re-acclimates into society 15 years after her kidnapping. This show is both funny and serious as Kimmy catches up on all that she’s missed in the past 15 years, as well as works on moving forward and not allowing her past to dictate her future. The humor and life lessons sprinkled throughout the three seasons of this show make it worth the watch.

4. F is for Family

This 70’s inspired animated series is a little on the raunchy side but maintains a level of comedic value. This show follows around a middle-class family of five in the 1970’s suburbs as they struggle with the lowered expectations of life. Frank Murphy, the father, is often found complaining about his job, yelling at his three children, or worrying about money while wife Sue is a stay at home mom and Tupperware sales person. The two seasons of this show offer a funny look at the 1970’s suburban life while also showcasing the importance of family through the Murphy family’s many trials and tribulations.

5. Bill Nye Saves the World

Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! Okay so pretty much if you’re a 90’s baby, you’re required to watch this series. Bill Nye manages to cover a range of important topics through the first two seasons of this series, ranging from the gender spectrum to time travel. As usual, Bill Nye manages to keep science interesting with experiments, a rotating panel of experts to partake in discussion, and famous guest stars. This Netflix Original offers a throwback to many streamers childhoods while offering intelligent and accessible scientific programing for older kids.

6. The End of the F***ing World

A modern day Romeo and Juliet tale. Kinda. Alyssa and James are two very sullen teenagers who run away from home in search of a more interesting life than they have now. Both have terrible home lives and tragic pasts, as showcased in some of the shows topics such as sexual harassment, consent, mental health issues, abuse, and more. The pair begin as friends, and throughout the eight episodes of the first season, they transform their friendship into a relationship. The short episodes that consistently end on cliffhangers make this an easy binge watch for the seasoned Netflix connoisseur.

7. Hot Girls Wanted

Now it’s time to get into documentaries. Hot Girls Wanted follows around several women who are involved in the porn industry as they share their stores. These women talk about why they became involved in this industry and all that they have endured in their time in this field. This is a shocking look at both their lives beyond porn and the mistreatment that porn stars often face. There is also a docuseries Netflix Original under the same name (Season 1 Episode 5 is a trip y’all) that offers a look further into the porn industry and its multiple facets. For those streamers looking for a unique and interesting documentary to watch, this is definitely the one.

8. The Fundamentals of Caring

This amazing Netflix Original Movie follows Trevor, a teen with muscular dystrophy who wants to experience adventure, as he goes on a long distance trip with his caretaker, Ben. The pair experience many trials and tribulations as Ben tries to make this a fun and enjoyable trip for Trevor, who has an uncertain future. Along the way, they encounter Dot (played by Selena Gomez) who quickly becomes Trevor’s love interest. The misadventures of this trio end up being heartwarming and funny, lifted up by the star power of Selena Gomez. If you have yet to watch this movie, now is the time to do so.

These Netflix Originals will continue to grow and expand and more will soon emerge. While Netflix grows its empire, now is the time to check out these eight amazing Originals and expand your Netflix palate. Whether you’re looking for comedy, a serious looking at modern day issues, or an interesting way to expand your breath of knowledge, there is a Netflix Original for you.

Photo Credits: Cover, 1, 2, 3

Sarah is currently Senior, graduating December 2019!, at American University. She is studying Business Administration with a self-designed concentration and a minor in literature. Sarah hopes to conquer the world one day but right now she is focused on her undergraduate degree and her law school applications. When Sarah's not writing article's for HCAU she can also be found leading the chapter as CC and President, giving tours of Kogod, working as a Kogod Team Lead, hanging with her amazing first year residents, doing her accounting intern work, or around campus with her wicked awesome friends!!! Feel free to follow Sarah on twitter and Instagram at @sarah_teix98