toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Movies for a Horror-Free Halloween Movie Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Love Halloween but hate gore, jump scares, and demon children? Well, you’ve come to the right place! People assume that once you reach a certain age, you should move on to It and The Exorcist, but I am not here for that. You’ll have to pry these fun family films from my cold dead hands. You can still have a good time and get into the Halloween spirit without giving yourself nightmares. Here are some great films for the perfect Halloween movie marathon minus the horror.

Nightmare Before Christmas

Let’s get this one in right off the bat because no Halloween movie marathon would be complete without The Nightmare Before Christmas. The songs a super catchy and the animation is incredible. You can stream it on both Netflix and Hulu or rent it from Amazon Prime for $3.99.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Just because you don’t like horror, doesn’t mean you have to stick to just kid’s movies. Rocky Horror Picture Show is a wild ride from start to finish and definitely not PG. Whether you’re dancing along to the Tip Warp or cringing your way through flashbacks of the Glee version, this movie is an all-around good time. Rocky Horror can even double as a fall activity. Tons of theaters in the DC area host viewings with shadow casts and audience call outs. I highly recommend the viewing at E Street Cinema. This iconic cult classic is a staple of the Halloween season. Dammit, Janet, I love this movie.

Halloweentown

Let’s be real, what kid didn’t want Marnie’s powers? This movie is heartwarming, entertaining, and a real member of the golden age of Disney channel original movies. The 90’s special effects are just the icing on the cake. Though it’s not on Netflix or Hulu, you can rent Halloweentown for just $0.99 on Amazon Prime.

Zombieland

Every Halloween movie marathon needs a good ‘ol a zombie film and this is a great one. Despite never learning the real names of the characters, you quickly get attached to all of them and become invested in their individual motivations for surviving the apocalypse (even if it’s just to search for Twinkies). Their relationships are heartwarming and hilarious, and you get to watch people absolutely demolish a corny gift shop. Get it for free on Amazon Prime!

Corpse Bride

This movie is another with stunning animation and a beautiful score. Piano Duet is one of my common picks for homework ambiance. Though it has the same classic Tim Burton style as Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride has its own unique characters and mood. At first glance it may seem morbid, it actually tells a really touching love story.

Scooby Doo

It may not be a traditional Halloween movie, but I think solving a mystery with Scooby and the gang is a vital part of the spooky season This movie is super cheesy but so iconic. The outfits, the poorly animated dog, Mr. Bean; I mean what more do you want? It may have a 30% on Rotten Tomatoes but it has a 100% in my heart. Get it on Netflix to liven up your next Halloween movie marathon.

Casper

This is another classic from back in the day! It’s also another example of cutting edge 90’s effects. The story of the lonely, friendly ghost is both heart-breaking and inspiring. This movie is a blast from the past that deserves a spot in every Halloween movie marathon.

The Things We Do in the Shadows

This may be another non-traditional Halloween movie but the vampires vs. werewolves feud and nosferatu cameo more than qualify it. This indie movie from New Zealand is filmed in a mockumentary style about a group of vampire roommates. It’s super witty and highly underrated. Ten out of ten would recommend adding it to your next Halloween movie marathon!

So this mischief night, gather your friends, dim the lights, and don’t set off the smoke detectors by burning the popcorn. Settle in for a fun spooky (horror-free) night!

Photo Credit: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Carly Elkins

American '20

Carly is a senior at American University and enjoys old cartoons and binge-watching Netflix with her friends. She is a Psychology and Communication Studies double major from New Jersey. Carly just returned from a semester in Copenhagen, Denmark.