8 Movies to Get You Into the Christmas Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

There are only a few more weeks until everyone’s favorite holiday- Christmas! But with finals coming up and stressing us out, who can feel cheery and in the holiday mood? Here are ten amazing movies that will be sure to get you into the Christmas spirit and make you even more excited for the upcoming and well anticipated holiday!

1. Home Alone

This classic movie will be sure to make your frown turn upside down. Kevin will not only make you laugh while he’s pranking Harry and Marv, but will also make you think about Christmas as a child and the excitement of waking up early in the morning to rush downstairs and open presents left by Santa.

2. Elf

Elf, a Christmas fan favorite for all ages, will be sure to make you appreciate all the amazing family and friends you have in your life- which is the true meaning of Christmas. This adorable movie teaches life lessons we can still learn today while making us smile till our faces hurt.

3. Love Actually

This romantic comedy isn’t just about Christmas, but about love. Love is ever so present during the holiday season and it reminds us to cherish those around us. This movie follows the story of everyday people, who we can easily relate to, and their lives during the wonderful holiday season. Christmas is not only about spreading joy and spending time with family and friends, but also finding love. Whether that be with another person or finding love in yourself, Love Actually will definitely inspire you.

4. The Santa Clause

This movie is a classic that many kids have grown up watching. If you miss being a kid during this holiday, this movie will take you back to the good old days. The movie focuses more on the Santa side of Christmas, and is the perfect movie to watch with younger family members.

5. Christmas With the Kranks

If you’re looking for a more light hearted, comedic movie, this is just the one. The movie follows a middle aged couple who decide to skip out on Christmas and go on a trpoical cruise. However, they live in a neighborhood who practice Christmas like it’s a religion. The movie will be sure to give you laughs as the neighbors guilt the Kranks into staying home for Christmas.   

6. It’s A Wonderful Life

Even though this movie is quite old, made in 1946 and in black and white (what!), it’s a timeless classic. It makes you think about the present and the people around you who you’ve impacted. It’s cool to see how movies, especially Christmas movies, have changed over the years, comparing this one to some of your newer favorites.

7. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

If laughing until you cry is a criteria for picking a movie, this one is perfect for you! Chevy Chase goes out of his way to try and have the perfect and most ideal Christmas for his family. Things, however, don’t go as planned. It’ll be impossible if this movie doesn’t make you feel grateful for the normal family you have to spend Christmas with.  

8. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

There is always that one person who seems to be a Grinch when Christmas rolls around. Everything from the music, to the decorating, to the gift buying makes this person hate this festive holiday. Instead of trying to deal with this Debbie Downer, try having them watch this movie. You’ll be in a treat yourself, shutting them up and hopefully convincing them how fantastic Christmas really is.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9