8 Free Podcasts You Didn’t Know Were On The iPhone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

From the Apple Watch and Newstand to Passbook and that weird little Health app, iPhones come with a lot of preinstalled apps that many people never even touch. Out of all of these irritatingly unerasable apps, one of them is actually useful: Podcasts. You know that little purple app with the broadcast symbol? Inside are thousands of podcasts. Some are funny, some are serious– one talks about Denzel Washington for an hour and a half straight every week. Even better, they’re free! Here are eight podcasts that you should have in your library.

1. The Read

What is it? “The Read” is a hilarious podcast that discusses the black community, pop culture, entertainment and racial justice and equality.

Who are the hosts? Bloggers, Kid Fury and Crissle.

You should listen if: If you like spilling tea and throwing shade, this is the podcast for you.

2. The Brilliant Idiots

What is it? Equal parts brilliant and idiotic, “The Brilliant Idiots” offer a unique spin on popular issues and hot topics.

Who are the hosts? Radio personality, Charlemagne the God, and comedian, Andrew Shultz. You may recognize Charlemagne from The Breakfast Club and Shultz from MTV’s “Girl Code.” 

You should listen if: If you like to look at things from a different angle, you’ll fit right in with the Brilliant Idiots.

3. Dormtainment

What is it? Dormtainment lets you be a fly on the wall as six comedians, best friends and roommates discuss everything from love to the struggles of sharing one car.

Who are the hosts? Before creating their podcast, the guys of “Dormtainment” were Youtube stars, famous for their Porn Stories series, Black Nat Geo videos and more. The six comedians Chaz, Cameron, Amanuel, Jerome, Mike and Tay now host this weekly podcast.

You should listen if: If you love randomness, good conversation and the sound of men’s voices, you should check out “Dormtainment.”

4. Lip Service

What is it? “Lip Service” is a raunchy talk show, where three women discuss sex and love.

Who are the hosts: Radio personality Angela Yee and her friends Gigi Maguire and Stephanie Santiago.

You should listen if: Anyone who is down for female sexuality will love “Lip Service.” The co-hosts speak bluntly about sex, relationships, love and female empowerment.   

5. Chewing the Fat

What is it: “Chewing the Fat” talks cooking, eating and food culture around the world.

Who are the hosts: Food journalists Louisa Chu and Monica Eng host the show.

You should listen if: If you love food, this show is for you. It may even inspire you to finally turn on your stove and try some recipes of your own!

6. Freakonomics Radio

What is it: A talk show that explores the hidden side of the things we do everyday. The hosts crack the riddles of everyday life, discussing the economics of sleep and asking questions like, “Is it okay for restaurants to racially profile their employees?”

Who are the hosts: Co-author of the best-selling “Freakonomics” books Stephen J. Dubner hosts the show, along with a plethora of guests from comedians to Nobel laureates.

You should listen if: If you are intrigued by the way things work, you’ll fit right in with the “Freaks” who host the show. 

7. The Friendzone

What is it: Three best friends apply zen philosophies to life, relationships and love.

Who are the hosts: Dustin Ross, Assante and Fran of HeyFranHey.

You should listen if: If you love good vibes and all things natural then “The Friendzone” is for you.

8. Call Your Girlfriend

What is it: A podcast hosted by two intelligent and hilarious women. They’re the best friends you wish you had.

Who are the hosts: Ann Friedman and Aminatou Sow.

You should listen if: If you like listening to smart ladies talk, then you’ll love “Call Your Girlfriend.” They tackle serious topics with grace and provide you with your daily dose of laughter. 

Photo Credits: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Lauren Lumpkin is a freshman majoring in Public Relations and Strategic Communication at American University in Washington, D.C. This self-proclaimed "foodie" from Cleveland, Ohio loves writing for HerCampus and blogging. In her free time, you can find her blasting music in her dorm room, watching movies, or working on DIY projects.