8 Fashion Must-Have Items This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Spring is officially here! It’s finally time to put away that puffy coat and take out your spring-time clothing! I consulted some friends from the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) to discuss what is in for this year!

1. Crop Tops

Crop tops are still in! Crop tops get a bad rep for the amount of skin they can potentially show, but they look great with so many pieces and look great on every lady! Try a crop top with a maxi skirt or high-waisted shorts for a flirty and classy look! This striped crop top from Charlotte Russe is simple enough to go with a lot, but is also a cute attention-grabber.

2. Midi Skirts

Move aside long skirts and short skirts, midi skirts are in this year! Typically just a little over knee length, midi skirts are fun and cute. You can wear more of a full skirt for a beachy look or if you want to look more professional, try out a mid-length pencil skirt (that you don’t need to tug down every two minutes!). Check out this cute one from Forever21.

3. Origami Skirts

Origami skirts are a new must-have this spring. This funky, abstract look adds an exciting flare to your outfit and your butt will look great. Bonus? A lot of them have pockets!

4. Cut-Out Dresses

Cut-out dresses add just the right amount of skin and can have really fun cut-outs! Back cut-outs are the absolute best because they can have a bunch of cool designs like hearts, keyholes or more asymmetrical designs. Want to look a bit more conservative for dinner before going out? No problem. Pull a sweater on over the cut-out and just take it off whenever you want.

5. Kimono Cardigans

Kimono cardigans have been popping up everywhere lately! They come in a lot of different colors and designs and are great to wear with anything. Pair with a simple shirt and jeans or even a simple dress. Dying to wear that cute white dress and don’t know what with? Try a colorful kimono cardigan and get in the mood for the Cherry Blossom Festival!

6. Statement Necklaces

Statement necklaces are always in! They can dress up any outfit, especially if you’re wearing a black dress or skirt. A statement necklace will almost immediately draw the eye to you! Wear a nice statement necklace with your hair up to show it off and you’ll be the center of attention. Make sure you wear a bright, pastel color for spring!

7. Shirt Dresses

Classic, timeless and versatile, the shirt-dress will become your go-to. It’s perfect to dress up to your style: from romantic to bohemian to more of an edgy look. Just add your own accessories to a simple, looser shirt dress and be yourself!

8. Fringe!

And finally, fringe? Yes, fringe. Fringe has been appearing in all the stores and on the runway. While it has usually been reserved for music concerts and the 1920’s, it is now everywhere. The key to fringe is wearing the most minimal amount. Too much and it looks like a shirt you cut for your high school’s pep rally. Try out a kimono cardigan (see above!) with a little bit of fringe at the bottom or, if you’re especially daring, a shirt with a little bit at the end.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Chelsea Cirruzzo is a sophomore at American University studying Public Relations and Strategic Communications. She is originally from Long Island. In addition to writing for Her Campus American, Chelsea is a Community-Based Research Scholar as well as a Resident Assistant. When not reading or writing, Chelsea can be found seeking out pizza wherever it might be or talking about feminism.