8 Easy Health Tips to Lower your Risk of Developing Breast Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

We are in the midst of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the color pink is everywhere. Between athletes dressed in pink socks, various fundraisers across cities and campuses, and activist campaigns throughout social media, breast cancer awareness is gaining attention. Although there are movements raising awareness of breast cancer and treatment, preventative measures are often overlooked. As a college student I ask you, have you ever thought about how breast cancer may be impacting your life right now? As young women in college we often overlook how our behaviors and choices may impact us later on in life, but it is critical to remember that our lifestyle choices as young women today will eventually impact our health later on down the road.  

Supporting Our Sister’s International (SOSI), a local breast cancer organization in the DC area, has started Healthy Boobies, a campaign to educate and spread awareness to college-aged women on the importance of a healthy lifestyle to keep their breasts healthy and cancer free.  SOSI is working hand in hand with a group of American University students in the Public Health department to promote the Healthy Boobies campaign and help educate their own peers on the potential risk factors of breast cancer and what they can be doing now in order to reduce their risk.  From AU’s very own students, here are the top 8 healthy tips to lower your risk of developing breast cancer:

1. There is a strong correlation between alcohol consumption and increased risk of developing breast cancer, so limit your intake to three drinks per week. As college-aged women, we often feel nightlife is very important to sustaining a positive social life throughout our college years.  You can still go out and have fun with your friends, but remember to be conscious of how much alcohol you are consuming.  Don’t drink what isn’t necessary.

2. Practice a diet involving a high concentration of fruits and vegetables in order to lower your risk. We all know late nights up studying means midnight pizza and ice cream, or frequent snacking.  Be aware of every meal of the day and the types of food you are incorporating into your diet.  When you know you have a long night of studying ahead of you, try to plan ahead. Packing healthy snacks to keep you going throughout the night will prevent you from making the rash decision of ordering Domino’s after a long night.  

3. Limit yourself to four servings of red meat per week.  Red meat is linked with an increased risk in hormone-positive premenopausal breast cancer. Who doesn’t love a good burger?! Just make sure Z-Burger or Burger Tap and Shake become your every night go-to.  

4. Reduce the amount you work at night.  Working or doing homework late at night is linked to hormone melatonin, which can potentially increase your risk of developing breast cancer.  Growing up and even in college we are used to being lectured about time management…but the importance of learning to manage your time cannot be underestimated.  If you can prevent having those 2 am cramming sessions, then do it! Our bodies are not built for all-nighters, so plan ahead, organize your time, and do your best to squeeze in at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night; your body will love you forever!

5. Avoid exposure to radiation unless necessary.  Confirm with doctors whether or not radiation scans are absolutely necessary or appropriate procedures. Speak up and double check that you really need that x-Ray.  The medical field is often trying to eat up your money, so make sure to ask why before saying yes.

6. Smoking cessation or avoiding smoking reduces one’s risk of developing breast cancer. Remember that DARE program you took in 5th grade? Well they weren’t lying to you, smoking is still really, really bad.  It’s not the cool thing to do…and it never was.  Before taking that cigarette, think of how healthy your lungs and boobs are right now.  Do you still want them to be that way in 30 years?

7. Increase your physical activity to at least an hour a day.  Physical exercise is linked to protecting against breast cancer. Everyone loves to netflix and chill, but it is just as important to find time to break a sweat. Whether it’s lifting weights in the gym, taking a jog downtown, or going to a Beyonce-themed SoulCycle class with your best friend, it is vital for your health, both in the short term and long term, that you find time for physical activity almost every day.  

8. Perform monthly self-breast exams.  This reinforces proper breast health and allows for early diagnosis opportunities.  Younger women are more likely to have a more advance stage of breast cancer than older women so it is very important to self-check regularly. Your boobs are not your enemies, make friends with them!

Healthy Boobies are happy boobies; keep them happy forever!

Be sure to follow SOSI on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Make sure to use the #iamcommittedtohealthyboobies hashtag to help promote the Healthy Boobies campaign!

This article has been contributed by American University senior, Olivia Wons.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 34, 5

Tanvi is an overcaffeinated senior at American University, studying Political Science and Communication. She's originally from Princeton, New Jersey and will defend her home state forever. When she's not managing HCAU, you can find Tanvi somewhere with a functional espresso machine, pretending to study while actually crying over Beyoncé's Instagram. Tanvi enjoys coffee, food, London, and strong female role models. According to a Buzzfeed quiz, Tanvi is the "Smashing A Car With A Golf Club" part of the "Blank Space" music video. In her spare time, she likes to moonlight as a standup comedian on Twitter (@tanvi0731), and read The Atlantic and Vogue.