7 Ways To Stay Close With High School Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Let’s face it, the first semester of college is a whirlwind. You immediately meet fifty people that live on your floor and then all of the people in the classes and clubs you get involved in. While can be easy to get caught up in this new and exciting life, that doesn’t mean that you have to throw away years of friendship with your squad from high school. Here are some ways to keep in touch and become closer than ever before:

1. Facetime

Sometimes, texting just isn’t enough and you really need to see your best friend’s face after an emotionally and physically exhausting day (we all have them, trust me). An hour long FaceTime venting session is thus a great way to get your best friend fix.

2. Plan out when you’ll see each other next and make the most of your breaks.

Whether it’s a quick coffee date on the few days you have off for Thanksgiving or a two-day sleepover during Christmas break, it’s important to see each other when you’re both in the same zip code. 

3. Stay connected through social media.

Snapchat and Instagram are great ways to see what your friends are up to instantaneously. Long distance friendships are a lot easier with today’s technology.

4. Stay interested in each other’s lives.

The most important part of staying close with your friends from high school is an equal amount of effort on both sides. The fastest way to have a friendship die out is accidentally drifting apart. Both friends have to genuinely care how the other one is doing and put in the effort to ensure that you both stay close. 

5. Call and text when you have a spare minute.

Having a quick chat while walking to class or the dining hall can make you feel more connected to your high school friends, while giving them a chance to let you in on what’s going on in their life.

6.  Introduce them to/talk to them about your college friends.

One of the best ways to not feel completely out of your high school friends’ new life at college is to combine the two worlds. It’s nice to hear about the new friends that are such an important part of their lives now and even better when you can meet them and make a new friend too.

7. Don’t expect to talk to them every day but know that when you do, it’ll be worth the wait.

College is a busy time and while you might not be able to talk to your high school best friend every day like you used to, you’ll have so much to talk about when you do catch up.

And when you finally do get to see each other, it’s a whole lot of this:

Selfies for days.

Photo Credits: Cover Author Property, 1, 2, 3, 4

Emily is currently a senior attending Connecticut College. She is a Biology and English double major. Her interests include community service, lazy days in bed watching movies and hanging out outdoors with friends. Like her interests, her taste in music and movies is all over the place. She has had an amazing four years here at Conn College so far, and is excited and nervous about being much closer to the REAL WORLD!