This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Whether you’ve been scrolling through Tik Tok or Buzzfeed, you’ve most likely come across articles or videos of people praising environmentally friendly products. I, being a lover of our beautiful planet, have indulged in these videos a time or two, and upon hearing the benefits of these products have promptly whipped out my debit card and made many purchases.

It can often be difficult to be environmentally friendly when on a college student’s budget. Here are some easy ways to remain environmentally friendly without breaking the bank. 

Wool Dryer Balls 

Wool dryer balls are inexpensive, sustainable and super beneficial. They replace single-use dryer sheets coated in toxins that are highly damaging for the environment and your machine. Depending on the brand, these balls can be used up to 100 washes saving you money in the long run. They also make your clothes super soft and lint-free.

My favorite brand is Nellie’s because it has a cute little lamb on it and only costs $10.

Rocketbook Smart Reusable Notebook 

The Rocketbook smart reusable notebook is a great tool to reduce your paper consumption in an easy and cheap way. This smart notebook allows you to write on lined sheets of paper, scan the documents to Google Drive or another internet location and wipe it away all with a microfiber cloth.

I like how effortless it is to transmit my notes from paper to my computer and how it can be used for all my classes. This sustainable product is an excellent addition to my school work, and it only cost me $30.

Refillable K-Cup Pods 

Refillable k-cups allow caffeine addicts to enjoy their daily cups of joe in a sustainable and cheap way. These eco-friendly pods allow you to purchase ground coffee bags instead of k-cup pods, which are often more expensive and more environmentally damaging.

A non-ecocentric reason to switch to this product is you have more variety in the types of coffee you chose from. K-cup brands are very limited, and by switching to a reusable pod, it provides you with a more diverse selection of coffee.

Amazon has many different brands to chose from with most of them costing less than $10.

Microfiber Makeup Remover Cloths 

Microfiber makeup remover cloths are a great way to be more eco-friendly. Run these soft cloths under warm water, gently rub all over your face, and bam, your makeup will come off in moments. They can be used as many times as desired, saving you money in the long run because you don’t have to keep buying disposable makeup wipes.

My favorite brand is Eurrow Beauty because they only cost $13 for ten cloths.

Metal Straws 

Metal straws are by far my absolute favorite sustainable product. Not only does this product replace plastic straws which are dangerous for ocean creatures, they are also cheap and make my cold beverages a thousand times colder. There is no greater feeling than plunging one of these bad boys into a glass of ice water and taking a long, refreshing sip.

My favorite brand is VEHHE because they are a cute rainbow iridescent color and only cost $4. 

Reusable Ziploc Baggies 

Reusable ziploc bags are an easy and cheap way to reduce your carbon footprint while also not breaking the bank. These bags come in handy when storing leftovers or loose bobby pins and can be continuously reused. Plus the average person uses roughly 540 single-use plastic baggies a year, so by making the switch to reusable baggies, you’re saving yourself money and being more sustainable.

My favorite place to buy these is Target because they have cute designs and cost $10 for four baggies.

Reusable Water Bottle 

Reusable water bottles are one of the simplest and easiest ways to reduce your carbon footprint without dropping a ton of cash. According to the EPA, 1500 plastic water bottles are used every second. These plastic bottles take a long time to breakdown and often cause lots of damages to the environment. By switching to a reusable bottle, you are not only saving yourself money, but also saving the planet.

My favorite brand is GIOTTO because it is a lightweight material, has a wrist strap, has time markers to ensure you are drinking your doctor-recommended daily amount of water, and it only costs $20.

Next time you’re at Target or scrolling on Amazon looking to replace a product in your home, think to yourself, “Is there a more sustainable option?” Chances are there is one.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Photos: Her Campus Media 

Robyn Walters is a senior at American University majoring in journalism with a minor in American studies. Born and raised in the snowy town of Syracuse, NY, she moved to the nation's capital for university. Robyn enjoys scrolling through Tik Tok, adventuring with her besties, and fangirling over Star Wars.