This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With the fall semester underway, it’s important to know how to stay safe in Washington, D.C. Although Washington is considered a safe city, it is always important to have a plan when you feel unsafe. American University is ranked third on the list of safest campuses in D.C., but Washington itself has had 130 homicides this year alone.

1. If you are in immediate danger, call the police.

When in immediate danger, call the police if you think you could be harmed. It is important to act when you feel threatened. Trust your instincts.

2. Download the app “Noonlight”

Noonlight is an app designed to be used when you feel in danger. When you feel unsafe, you can open the app and press the button if you feel like you’re uncomfortable and may need help. When you release the button, help is sent to your location immediately. 

3. Carry pepper spray or an alarm

There are many objects made for your safety, including pepper spray, alarms and other defense mechanisms. Pepper spray is easily accessible and can be found almost anywhere. It is considered to be legal in D.C, according to the Metropolitan Police Department

4. Stay with groups of people

Past 10 p.m., try not to go out alone late at night. When you’re alone, you’re more vulnerable and more likely to be a target. If you can, get a group of friends to go out. If it’s not possible for you, pretend to be talking to someone on the phone. It’ll seem like you’re chatting with a friend, and one that knows your location. Better yet, call a friend who can make sure you’re OK

5. Stay aware of your surroundings

This may seem obvious, but many people aren’t aware of their surroundings. Make sure to check around you, whether you’re getting off the bus or metro or walking with a group of friends. Growing your natural instinct to check all surroundings will greatly benefit you

6. Plan your route

If you plan out where you’re going, you’re most likely going to feel more secure on your way to your destination. You won’t seem confused or unsure of yourself, which will give you more reassurance in avoiding trouble.

When experiencing Washington and all it has to offer for the first time, it can be both nerve-wracking and exciting. Taking these extra precautions to make sure you’re safe can only help you in the long run.

Callie Whicker

American '26

I'm a political science and computer science student at AU, interested in writing!