This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

From your social calendar to living on your own for the first time, life as a college student can be exhilarating but completely overwhelming. When you no longer have a fridge stocked by your parents and you’re responsible for figuring out your own meals everyday, your food choices can get sloppy.  Your newfound food freedom lets you eat everything your parents always told you not to, at any time you want. Why not just swipe into the dining hall and grab a slice of pizza and some ice cream?

Regularly making the wrong food choices can have a serious effect on your overall health, which can in turn impact your academic performance. You’ll feel happy, healthier, and much more energetic if you follow some simple guidelines for on-campus dining.

1.     Plan Ahead

Planning out your day is not only an effective way of managing your time in college, but it’s also a great way to make sure that you’re giving your body the nutrients it needs! Instead of deciding last minute that you’re starving and choosing to eat something with very little nutritional value, have some snacks packed in your bag so you can make a smart choice. If you know you aren’t going to have a lot of time to eat dinner one night, grab something when you are buying lunch to snack on later! If you know that you are going out to a great pasta place for dinner tonight, eat a little less during the day so you can really enjoy your dinner without feeling sick from eating too much. Just thinking about your next meal will make it easier to make smarter choices–and it’ll make your collegiate life a bit simpler!

2.     Don’t Be Peer Pressured

When you’re eating in the dining hall, it’s easy to follow your friends around and just get whatever they’re putting on their plates. But what you may not know is everyone’s bodies and lifestyles are different, so everyone’s diets are different too! Levels of exercise and metabolism vary from person to person, so you need to know what’s right for you and what will make you feel the best. When your friends are all getting ice cream and you’re already stuffed, don’t feel bad saying no! Also, keep this in mind: don’t eat too little just because you feel like people will judge you for having a heaping plate of food or going back for more.

3.     Drink Plenty of Water

Your parents always told you to drink water, but now that there’s an endless supply of soda fountains on campus, that gets thrown out the window. It can’t be empashized enough–it’s extremely important to be properly hydrated. Drinking water has so many benefits, and drinking the recommended 8oz of water a day can keep your skin looking healthy, keep your brain at its peak function and keep those dehydration headaches away. The easiest way to make sure you’re getting enough water in a day is to carry a water bottle with you wherever you go! And along with all the health benefits that H2O will bring you, maybe carrying it around will make your arms more toned too!

4.  Don’t Be Afraid To “Swipe” Using Your Swipes

Normally the dining hall is packed with fruits you can take to eat during your meal, but don’t be afraid to take an apple or orange to go! This is an easy and cost effective way to have a healthy snack during your long day of classes. We don’t condone always stealing food from the dining hall (looking at you, TDR fork theifs) but don’t be afraid to get your money’s worth by taking a snack to go.

5. Avoid Vending Machines 

Not only is the food from vending machines grossly overpriced, but it’s just plain gross! Instead of paying three dollars for a bag of five cheese puffs, get something that will actually curb your hunger. If you’re really in a crunched situation, look for a granola bar or take a look at the options in the “healthier” vending machines around campus. 

6. Go Shopping

If the dining hall just isn’t doing it for you and the other places to dine on campus just aren’t giving you enough options, go to the grocery store and stock up your dorm fridge! Going to one of the cheaper options like Giant or Safeway will help you get more out of your small college grocery budget, but Whole Foods is another great choice for organic fruits and vegetables. This way you can choose exactly what you like to eat, rather than what is being served on campus that day.

Whether it’s your first year in college or your last, it’s never too late to learn how to eat well and the benefits will keep you happy and healthy all semester long!

Photo Credit: 1