6 Charities to Donate to Instead of Kanye West

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Recently, rapper Kanye West has been in the news due to a tweet in which he claimed to be $53 million in debt. He then reached out to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and Google co-founder Larry Page to donate $1 billion to him in order to pay back this debt. Interesting. Even more interesting is that Kanye West and his wife Kim Kardashian are currently renovating their multi-million dollar mansion, including adding a man-made lake in the backyard. It sounds like they’re truly struggling, and I’m sure that the Wests would love to receive donations from college students trying to get by each week on a strict budget. However, should you not feel moved by Kanye’s plight, here are a few charities you can donate to instead.

1. The Make-a-Wish Foundation

This world-famous organization quite literally makes dreams come true for children with life-threatening illnesses by granting one wish per child, no matter how big or seemingly impossible. Wishes granted include meeting presidents and celebrities, getting to be a superhero for a day, and of course, going to Disneyland. You can donate by clicking here. However, if sick children aren’t really your thing, Kanye seems like a reasonable alternative for a charitable donation. 

2. Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontieres):

During the recent outbreak of Ebola in parts of Africa, Doctors Without Borders was one of the largest continuous organizations present during the crisis, treating thousands of those stricken by the disease. They also have doctors risking their lives in most of the active war zones in the world, including Syria, and help to save lives every day. If you would like to donate to this phenomenal organization, click here. If you want to donate to Kanye, trying tweeting at him. 

3. Women for Women:

This organization seeks to educate women in the most marginalized areas of the world, which predominantly are war zones. Through this program, almost half a million women have been given the tools to help improve their lives and those of their families, promoting women’s rights at the same time. Here at Her Campus American, this is the type of organization we love, and if you would like to donate to directly support a woman, click here. Or, of course, save your pennies for poor broke Kanye. 

4. Meals on Wheels

For those who are disabled or elderly, this organization is a lifeline. Volunteers bring meals to people who find it hard to cook and/or leave the house, giving them the support they need. Speaking from personal experience as a volunteer, this is a fantastic organization, and the smiles on the faces of those who need the meals are lovely to see. If you would like to donate to this charity, click here. However, Kanye might suffer if you do.

5. The Environmental Defense Fund

For those of you who still don’t believe global warming exists, well, take your heads out of the sand and pay attention to the EDF. This organization seeks to remove the barriers towards reducing harm done by human activities to the environment, such as reducing carbon emissions, promoting sustainable fishing, and lowering the amont of water used in growing crops. Sounds pretty good, and if you agree, you can donate here. However, if you disagree or you still think Kanye is more deserving, just scroll on by and feel the judgement of the world.

6. The American Humane Association

Honestly, if you won’t donate (which you can do by clicking here) to an organization that promotes the protection of children, pets and farm animals, then not even Kanye deserves your money. Come on, kids AND puppies? Sounds like a great organization to me. 

There are hundreds of other charities out there that rely on donations from the government and civilians to carry on with their missions each year, most of which benefit thousands of people. In the face of this, Kanye can probably make do without his backyard lake and a slightly smaller home. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Maggie is a senior at American University studying Broadcast Journalism and International Relations. In addition to writing for Her Campus as both a featured writer and a section editor, Maggie is also involved in Greek life, an American University Ambassador, and is currently interning in the newsroom at Voice of America. When Maggie is not writing, she can be found obsessively reading Buzzfeed, going back through study abroad photos from London, and dreaming about Baked and Wired cupcakes. After graduation, Maggie hopes to work as a correspondent in Europe, and use this as an excuse to travel the world as much as possible.