5 Ways to Keep Warm this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It’s that time of year again where leaves and temperatures are falling. If you’re  from somewhere warm or  just get cold easily, a DC winter can pose a bit of a challenge. Here are 5 tips for how to stay warm this season: 

1. Invest in Outerwear

The right warm clothing can make or break you come winter. Hats are especially important; when your head is warm, so is your body. Try shopping for jackets, hats and other outwear accessories at stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Nordstrom Rack (all in Friendship Heights!) for quality items that won’t hurt your bank account.

2. Layer Up

Use your new clothing to layer. Not only will you stay warm outside, but can more easily adjust to the heat once inside. My classroom in Ward is never the same temperature as SIS so layers always come in handy when I’m moving from building to building.

3. Invest in Handwarmers

These small packets can be bought from Amazon or drugstores like CVS and RiteAid. They’re cheap and, if you’re planning on spending a long time outside –  a lifesaver. Throw a few under your gloves for maximum toastiness. 

4. Drink Something

Hit up the Dav, Bridge or even off campus cafes for a cozy respite from the cold. There’s nothing like a warm chai latte or coffee to melt your bones when you’re having a particularly frosty day. 

5. Eat Something Toasty

TDR, Global Fresh, Freshii, and the East Campus POD all carry soup. It’s not exactly what your mama makes, but it can still make you feel cozy. I can’t say that I’ve ever been less warm after slurping down some soup. 

When all else fails? Turn on the heat in your apartment or dorm!

Photo Credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3

Coming soon