5 Things I Wish I Knew As A Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Oh, freshman year.
Adjusting to living in a 180 square foot dorm room, hearing the importance of a class syllabus and trying to fight temptation of soft serve ice cream in the dining hall. A student’s first year of college is scary, so we’re here to help! After competing my freshman year there was a countless number of things I wish I had known before. Here are some of the tips I have gathered that will hopefully make freshman year even better!

1. Say yes to more.

It is easy to be scared to sign up for a club or go out with a group of friends you hardly know. However, it is extremely important to try new things because you really never know when you’ll stumble upon a club you love or meet a new best friend.

2. Put school first.

It can seem easy to push back when you’ll start assignments and go out to eat instead of studying. College is about finding a balance between school, sleep and a social life—and it can take some time to find. Making academics a top priority from the start will keep you on track. Having good grades is the key is success!

3. Go off campus.

Although some towns have more to offer than others, there is bound to be a cool restaurant to eat at, a mall to shop at and a scenic street to walk around. Whether you go to school in New York City or in a town of 10,000 make sure you send time off campus and enjoy your surroundings.

4. Talk with professors.

Your teachers are the best resources on campus because they have either had a career similar to your interests or have studied your major for years. Going to office hours and researching their work will not only improve your grades but also teach you lessons you won’t learn in class.

5. Write for Her Campus or start a chapter!

I know I’m biased, but as a freshman writing for a website as established and fun as Her Campus, I gained great experience. You will meet girls with similar interests, sharpen your writing skills and have a creative outlet to discuss your interests.

And most importantly, have fun! College is only four years (and it goes by so fast)!

Photo credit: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LTV3TDybZhM/TjgqK8GUMCI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/ylnSHBE7Nv4/s1600/freshman-year-college.jpg

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.
Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.