This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It is officially spooky season, and for me and my fellow “scardey cats” out there this means that there will be an onslaught of scary movies that we will be pressured to watch by our fright-loving friends. But let me assure you that the ensuing nightmares don’t have to follow: luckily for us, there are plenty of movies that suit the Halloween spirit without making you pee your pants. Here are five movies that I have complied and reviewed which fit the spooky theme, but won’t leave you with nightmares for weeks. Each movie is rated on a scale from 1 to 5 on the “spooky scale,” with 1 being the least scary and 5 being the scariest.

Scary Movie Franchise (Trailer)

The “Scary Movie” franchise has four movies in total that parody other horror movies. I recommend starting with “Scary Movie,” the first in the series, as it is the most popular movie of the franchise. The plot of “Scary Movie” revolves around a group of teenagers who hit and kill a man with their car on Halloween. The group of teens are then stalked and hunted by an unknown masked murderer. The movie features famous scenes from horror movies such as “Scream,” “The Sixth Sense,” “The Matrix,” “I Know What You Did Last Summer” and “The Blair Witch Project.” While there is some gore, it is relatively cheesy and unthreatening. I found myself laughing throughout the movie and cringing at the obvious satire. This film is a great way to laugh with your friends and enjoy the Halloween spirit while not having to deal with the jump scares of other horror movies. I give this movie a 1 on the spooky scale.

Coraline (Trailer)

Coraline is a clay animation movie centered around a young, lonely girl named Coraline who moves into a house with a mysterious door. Coraline ends up wandering through the door and finds a whole other world that mimics her own world, but is a seemingly better version. However, things take a turn for the worse when her “Other Mother” from the world behind the door wants to trap Coraline in the other reality forever. Since Coraline is rated PG, it is marketed for children which makes you worried the movie will be a bit of a let-down. But I can assure you that the movie can be disturbing and creepy, and definitely left me feeling a little uneasy. The directors and artists do a good job at animating Coraline and the world around her, which makes the movie technically and artistically stunning. I give Coraline a 2 on the spooky scale.

Truth or Dare (Trailer)

“Truth or Dare” is a fairly recent movie that premiered in April of 2018. It begins with a group of college students who fly to Mexico for a vacation. During the vacation, a stranger convinces the group to play truth or dare. While playing the game, they awaken a dark spirit that forces the group to continue playing the game. The rules are simple: if you don’t tell the truth, don’t do the dare, or stop playing the game you will die. This causes a mirage of dark secrets to unfold as everyone fights to survive the game. The movie can be creepy because of the gore and the eerie smile each character gets on his or her face when they are possessed by the spirit. However, since the movie is rated PG-13 the violence is not too extreme and is relatively tolerable. The movie stars celebrity favorites such as Lucy Hale and Tyler Posey. If you like movies with drama and don’t mind the occasional gross scene, then this movie is for you. I give “Truth or Dare” a 3 on the spooky scale.

Unfriended (Trailer)

“Unfriended” tells the story of a group of teens who are being haunted and terrorized by a mysterious being through their dead classmate Laura Barns’ Skype account. The story behind this is that Laura committed suicide the year prior due to cyberbullying, and now she wants to exact her revenge on the teens responsible. The teens are forced to reveal the truth surrounding Laura’s death and uncover all of their dark secrets or else the being will kill them. The movie is told entirely through Skype and other social media outlets. Since “Unfriended” is rated R, the gore can be quite disturbing at times as there are harsh depictions of death and murder. However, the use of social media to tell the story hinders the movie’s level of scariness as it creates a type of disconnection from what is happening. With other movies, where you are able to see the full motion and surroundings of the person, you feel more connected to the story. “Unfriended” only offers limited connection to the story. I give Unfriended a 4 on the spooky scale.

Halloween (2018) (Trailer)

The “Halloween” franchise is back! The new movie “Halloween” starring Jamie Lee Curtis continues the story of Laurie Strode who survived an attack by Michael Myers 40 years ago. After Michael Myers escapes from prison, Laurie Strode is determined to kill Myers once and for all to save the town on Halloween night. The movie premieres October 19 and is rated R. Although I have not seen the movie, the story thus far has been very fascinating and compelling, making me eager for the next installment. Does she kill Michael Myers? Does she save everyone? The answers to these questions are too necessary for you to not watch the movie. So, grab your friends, head over to the theaters and enjoy! I have no doubt that the movie will be scary, but I am intrigued to see how this long-awaited saga ends. I give Halloween a 5 on the spooky scale.

The month of October does not always have to involve gut-wrenching scary movies, as there are clearly other alternatives. So, make sure to grab your blankets and friends and enjoy a fun movie this spooky season. Which one will you watch?

Alyssa Bursie

American '22

Alyssa is currently a freshman at American University. She is majoring in CLEG with a pre-law track. One day, Alyssa plans to attend law school and run her own law firm while still having time to travel the world. When she is not writing articles, you can find her interning for the government around D.C, participating in events on campus, and complaining about the cold weather. Feel free to follow Alyssa on instagram at alyssabursie or on twitter at YBURSIE.