5 Reasons Why Spring is the Best Season of All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

After a winter that made anyone in the Northeast want to curl up in a hole and just give up on ever seeing the sun again, it is finally spring in DC. It’s been a long time coming, and we’ve all been impatient for the first signs of warmth since getting back from Spring Break. But now that the sundresses are out and tourists are flooding DC, it’s laughable to think that any other season could ever beat this time of year. Here are a few reasons why spring will always be the best season in DC, hands down.

1. The Cherry Blossoms

This is obvious, but it has to be said. These beautiful trees, sent to the District as a sign of goodwill from Japan, stand dormant the majority of the year, with the exception of a few weeks in April, when they come alive. The sight of the pink and white blossoms bring hordes of tourists to the National Mall and the Tidal Basin, and are the backdrop to countless profile and cover pictures. In this case, though, the praise is warranted. There will never be a more gorgeous sight than the Jefferson Memorial at sunrise surrounded by cherry blossoms. That same view as seen in any other season, when the trees aren’t blooming, is no where near as breathtaking. 

2. The Warmth

For the first time in four months, there is not a trace of snow or ice on the ground and the cold doesn’t feel like it’s peeling the skin off your face every time you go outside. Even better, it’s warm, but not yet the muggy heat of summer, when everyone flees inside to escape melting. It’s the perfect, balmy in-between, and being outside never feels as good as during this season. 

3. People are Generally Happier

It’s human nature to want to be outside when the weather is the most comfortable for us, and being outside naturally rejuvenates us. It’s no surprise, then, that suddenly, everyone is smiling, and even though finals are around the corner, a bit less stressed. 

4. The Clothes

After months of being suffocated under jeans, sweaters, and heavy coats, it’s a relief to be able to let your legs and neck breathe. Despite the valiant efforts of designers everywhere, warm-weather clothes are always prettier and thus more fun to wear than winter clothes are. Spring, with the feeling of new life and optimism everywhere, is the best time to show off these dresses and cut-off shorts, packed away for the past six months. Or just the perfect time to spend the money you don’t have on a new wardrobe. Your choice. 

5. The Colors

White is, objectively, a lovely color, and lends a magical quality to snow…at first. After three months of snow on the ground, though, and the beige concrete buildings of DC as the main backdrop, white can get very old. Thus, the flowers, animals, and clothing seen in spring is a massive relief, if only to assure you that you live in a beautiful city, and not a post-apocalyptic world. Spring brings color back to the world, and for that, I for one will always be eternally grateful.

Ultimately, winter, summer, and fall each have their redeeming qualities. But spring will win every time if there is a contest. Enjoy the wonderful weather!

Image Links: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Maggie is a senior at American University studying Broadcast Journalism and International Relations. In addition to writing for Her Campus as both a featured writer and a section editor, Maggie is also involved in Greek life, an American University Ambassador, and is currently interning in the newsroom at Voice of America. When Maggie is not writing, she can be found obsessively reading Buzzfeed, going back through study abroad photos from London, and dreaming about Baked and Wired cupcakes. After graduation, Maggie hopes to work as a correspondent in Europe, and use this as an excuse to travel the world as much as possible.