sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Halloween Candy Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

For all you sweet tooths out there, Halloween is just around the corner, and supermarkets have filled their shelves with giant bags of candy. From Kit Kat bars to Sour Patch Kids, it is prime candy buying season. If you are having trouble deciding which types of candy to stock up on come October 31st, here is a guide to a few Halloween favorites.

1. Candy Corn: The Classic Halloween Candy

If you are looking for an old fashioned candy, are dedicated to the Halloween spirit, and want to be reminded of the Halloween nights spent going from house to house dressed up as Hannah Montana dragging a pillowcase down the street, then candy corn is the right candy for you. It is simple, timeless, and a perfect way to get yourself into the fall spirit. Even if you are not a huge fan of the taste, it never hurts to buy a bag of candy corn and use it as decoration in your dorm room or apartment to have the full Halloween experience.

2. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup: The Favorite Halloween Candy

Ranked #1 as USA Today’s “Most Popular Halloween Candy in the USA,” you can never go wrong with a good Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. The chocolate and peanut butter combination is to die for and you can always count on a Reese’s to satisfy your chocolate craving. Be careful with these little peanut butter cups, as their mouth watering taste can lead to a chocolate overload, so make sure you pace yourself when stuffing your face full of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups this Halloween. 

3. Tootsie Pops: The Long Lasting Halloween Candy

The Tootsie Pop is a perfect treat to snack on this Halloween. The Tootsie Pop comes in a variety of flavors including cherry, raspberry, chocolate, orange and many more delicious flavors. The great thing about Tootsie Pops, or any lollipop candy, is that they take longer to eat than other treats, which lets you savor the sweet taste for longer. Their long lasting taste makes them the perfect Halloween treat to snack on while doing your homework or studying for a test. As our good friend Mr. Owl asks, “How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a Tootsie Pop?”

4. Almond Joy: The Forgotten Halloween Candy 

Everyone always seems to remember Snickers, Twix, and Skittles when Halloween rolls around the corner, but no one seems to appreciate a tasty Almond Joy. With its coconut center and milk chocolate shell, eating an Almond Joy transports your taste buds to a tropical paradise. Also, the candy comes with real almonds, which is a good source of fiber! So when you are sorting through your candy this October, remember to think twice before you throw aside those tasty Almond Joys. 

5. Starbursts: The Fruity Fun Halloween Candy

If you are not a chocolate lover or maybe you don’t want to commit yourself to eating an entire candy bar, then I would recommend stocking up on some Starbursts this Halloween. These juicy fruit flavored candies are small enough where you can have a handful once and awhile without overdosing on sugar but at the same time satisfy your candy cravings. If you are tired of the traditional orange, lemon, cherry and strawberry flavors, Starbursts also come in Tropical, Super Fruit, and Fruit Slushies flavors. These little candies are the perfect midnight snack this October or any month of the year!

Photo Credits: 1, 23, 4, 56