5 Great Art Museums to Visit in DC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Going to college in Washington, D.C. certainly has it’s perks. We have great internship opportunities, embassy events and awesome restaurants. We also have a LOT of museums. Even though there are dozens of museums of all types throughout the D.C. area, the most visited museums are the Natural History Museum and the National Air and Space Museum, both of which are on the National Mall. These are certainly interesting museums, but there are quite a few lesser-known art museums in DC that are worth checking out as well. 

All of these museums, with the exception of the Phillips Collection, are all free to the public — yet another perk of living in D.C.! 

1. The National Gallery of Art

This museum is arguably one of the best art museums in DC, as well as one of the best in the world. This absolutely gorgeous museum on the National Mall was created by an act of Congress in 1937 for the American people. It contains a significant collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist artworks, as well as the only painting by Leonardo da Vinci in North America.

Closest Metro stop: Archives 

2. American Art Museum/ National Portrait Gallery

These Smithsonian museums are housed together in the Old Patent Office Building. The American Art Museum contains very interesting American art since the country’s inception, as well as modern art created in the past few decades. Meanwhile, the National Portrait Gallery is home to some famous portraits of presidents and other famous people. The two museums are joined together by a beautiful indoor courtyard. 

Closest Metro stop: Gallery Place 

3. Hirshhorn Museum

This very interesting Smithsonian museum is housed in a circular building on the National Mall. It features rotating exhibits of modern art, particularly from the past 50 years. It’s a fun place to visit with friends, since there’s always something fun and interesting to see there. If it’s a nice day, make sure to visit the Sculpture Garden, as well!

Closest Metro stop: Smithsonian

4. Freer & Sackler Galleries

These connected Smithsonian museums are conveniently located on the National Mall, right down the street from the Washington Monument. These museums contain a significant collection of Asian art. The Freer also contains James McNeill Whistler’s beautiful Peacock Room, which is ornately decorated with blue and gold colors. This museum is a great place to visit on a rainy day! 

Closest Metro stop: Smithsonian

5. Phillips Collection

This lovely museum of modern art is housed in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of DC. It’s definitely worth a visit since it’s down the street from AU. The Phillips Collection houses Pierre-Auguste Renoir’s masterpiece “The Luncheon of the Boating Party”, as well as other works by Post-Impressionists and modern artists. The museum does have an entrance fee, but it’s only $10 for students! 

Closest Metro stop: Dupont Circle

We all know that DC has museums of air, space and the natural world, but be sure to take advantage of the many art museums in DC and go check one out this weekend!

All photos by author & 1
Kiely is a sophomore at American University studying art history. She loves literature, museums, coffee, and cupcakes.