5 Bands With Killer Leading Ladies on the Vocals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The entertainment industry has provided us with a flawless community of vocal queens that take front and center when it comes to taking the stage as a band. From rock and roll to indie alternative, these front runners not only know how to work a stage, but know how to have a great time. So forget the backup dancers and don’t expect a costume change; these women don’t run with Tay and Queen B. Steering away from the theatrics, these performers approach the music world as a team and bring girl power to the next level.

Band: Heart

Lead Vocals: Ann Wilson

The Band: Roger Fisher on guitar, Steve Fossen on bass, Howard Leese on the keyboard, Michael DeRosier on the drums and Nancy Wilson on lead guitar.

Career Highlights: In 2012, Heart was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and then officially inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2013.

Fun Fact: The band Heart was established in 1963, but Ann Wilson didn’t come into the picture until 1970. She was soon followed by her younger sister Nancy in 1974 who became Heart’s lead guitarist.

Band: No Doubt

Lead Vocals: Gwen Stefani

The Band: Tony Kanal on bass, Adrian Young on the drums and Tom Dunmont on guitar.

Career Highlights: Among their two Grammy Awards and 5 MTV Video Awards, No Doubt was invited to perform at the Kennedy Center Honors by Paul McCartney in 2010.

Fun Fact: Prior to their packed concerts and billboard tracks, the band members held day jobs to keep their dream alive. Gwen and Kanal worked in a department store, (fashion advice from Gwen… yes please!), Dumont ran his own rental music equipment business and Young worked as a waiter.

Band: Paramore

Lead Vocals: Hayley Williams

The Band: Jason Bynum on bass, Josh and Zac Farro on guitar (brothers!), and rhythm guitarist Jeremy Davis.

Career Highlights: The band’s album Brand New Eyes, released in 2009, was followed by a sold out European tour. Awarded Best Rock Song in 2015 (“Ain’t it Fun”).

Fun Fact: Originating from Franklin, Tennessee, the band started to produce music when all but one band member, Jeremy Davis, was younger than the age of 18.

Band: Evanescence

Lead Vocals: Amy Lee

The Band: Terry Balsamo and Troy McLawhorn on the guitar, Tim McCord on the bass and Will Hunt on drums.

Career Highlights: Evanescence was awarded a Grammy for Best New Artist and Best Hard Rock Performance for their premiere single “Bring Me to Life” in 2004. The band has sold close to 25 million albums since the band was created in the early 2000’s.

Fun Fact: The band chose the name Evanescence because of the metaphorical meaning behind the word’s definition and Amy Lee thought it would add to their haunted theme.

Band: Florence + The Machine

Lead Vocals: Florence Welch

The Band: Isabella Summers on the keyboard, Robert Ackroyd on the guitar, Tom Monger on the harp, Mark Saunders on bass guitar and Chris Hayden on drums.

Career Highlights: Many of the band’s songs have appeared on American television programs such as Grey’s Anatomy and So You Think You Can Dance along with a guest appearance on an episode of Gossip Girl in 2011. Their video for “What the Water Gave Me” on the band’s YouTube VEVO channel hit 1.5 million views within the first  days.

Fun Fact: Florence took matters into her own hands and cornered Mairead Nash, member of the DJ duo Queens of Noize, in a public bathroom and belted Etta James in 2006. A week later, she was asked to be the duo’s opening performance. This marked the start of her music career.

Photo/Video Credits: 1, 2, 34, 5

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8