4.5 Stages of Supporting the Visiting Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Although we are all currently living in DC, most of us aren’t actually from the area. In regards to sports here we root for the Redskins, the Wizards, the Nationals or the Capitals, but when your home team comes into town, everything changes. It’s game on. Unfortunately, attending a game where you’re in support of the visiting team can be tough, especially when the entire sports traditions of your city aren’t carried over to DC. If you’re planning on attending a sports game in support of the visiting team, here are the 4 (and a half) stages you’ll probably go through:

Stage One: Excitement

It’s one of the best feelings to have your home team come play near you. When they visit, it’s your opportunity to show your spirit! You show up to the game decked out in your best gear (and possibly face paint) and can’t wait to show your hometown pride.

Stage Two: Awkwardness

Although it’s great to show your spirit, things get a little awkward as soon as you enter the arena and get several dirty looks from every D.C. fan. You might even prepare for underhanded comments or the occasional eye-roll.

Stage Three: Silence

When your team scores an amazing 3-pointer or your goalie pulls off a great save, the hometown crowd doesn’t really care. You hear the golf-clap from the disappointed crowd, and you’re the only one truly cheering. That’s okay, embrace it!

Stage Four: Celebration

It was an intense game, but thankfully your team pulled through! Enjoy celebrating in front of all the bitter and disappointed D.C. fans, but don’t be too much of a gloater.

… and a half: Disappointment

Unless your home team loses… in which case be happy at least one of your teams won! Just make sure to hide your team’s gear so you don’t get picked on too much.

But if your favorite team doesn’t happen to play in D.C. this season, try going to a game anyways! Sports are always fun and cheering for your psuedo-home team is always second best!

Photo credit: 1 2 3 4 5