4 Ways to Become More Politically Active

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Being a student at American (thanks to our DC location) it is inevitable that you will hear about politics. No seriously, whether you’re hanging in MGC, riding the shuttle bus or just roaming the dorm hallways you are bound to hear someone in a heated debate about the latest election or presidential speech. Remember when the government shutdown for a hot second and AU was in its political glory? Well, if you (like many others) are a bit lost with the whole political playing field, here are a few tips on how to get a little more politically active! #merica

1.     Read the paper!

Let’s face it, we go to school in the political capital of our country and the local newspapers are PACKED with what’s happening on the Hill. Set aside 20 minutes everyday and read the cover stories and the politics section of the paper. Every dorm has the daily paper sitting around for you to take a copy so no excuses!

2.     Get involved!

American University has been voted  “most politically active school” on multiple occasions. There are a million different ways to get involved on campus, and joining clubs/getting involved is a great way to meet new people. Why not stop by an American University College Republicans meeting or if you’re on the other side check out what the AU College Democrats are up to.

3.     Go to events

Did we mention AU is extremely politically active? Every week or so there are events that SIS hosts relating to intense political subjects around the world. Why not take a break from the library (cause you’re obviously there hard at work during the week) and attend an event! The topics range anywhere from human rights, power dynamics abroad, human trafficking and so many more topics which are directly related to politics. Plus there are always free refreshments which definitely fit into your #collegegirlbudget

4.     VOTE!!

There is no better way to get involved with politics than voting! Find out what elections are coming up in your state and follow the campaigns. Figure out who you side with, tune into their speeches or what the media is saying, and exercise your right to vote. Voting is as simple as sending in a completed ballot so there’s no reason you can’t take the time to do it. 

Photo Credits: 

http://sarahfrancesr.tumblr.com/image/30422691531

http://themetapicture.com/page/17/

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.