element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Facts You Need to Know About Domestic Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Domestic Violence is a pattern of abusive behavior that can happen in a dating, marital, or live-in intimate partner relationship. In an abusive relationship, one partner tries to maintain control over the other by using physical, psychological, verbal, and sexual violence. Although factors such as drug and alcohol use, stress, or a family history of abuse may contribute to the problem, domestic violence is primarily an issue of power and control. In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, here are four facts essential to domestic violence awareness:

1. Abuse is More Common Than You Might Think

To this day, abuse victims are scared to come forward because they are worried that they would appear weak or be blamed for their abuse. But, because of the women’s movement and the victims’ rights movement, domestic violence is known to be very common and it can be reported or stopped in many different ways. Here are a few important reminders about domestic violence against women:

• On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
  • 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been victims of [some form of] physical violence by an intimate partner within their lifetime.
  • 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
  • On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
  • The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
  • Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
  • Domestic victimization is correlated with a higher rate of depression and suicidal behavior.
  • Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.

2. Reporting and Responding to Abuse is Extremely Hard

Confronting abuse is hard, whether it is someone you love or looking at the relationship you are in. Confronting the abuser is not the solution to something this intricate and difficult. Here a few steps that could help make it easier:

• Listen to and believe your loved one.
  • Allow them to control their own lives.
  • If your loved one does not want to leave or call the police, do not force them to.
  • Do not get involved in their fights, as doing so may endanger you. Call the police instead. 
  • Offer your loved one a safe place to stay, or help him or her get to a shelter.
  • Explore your loved one’s reasons for staying, and offer to help. If childcare or finances are a concern, for instance, try offering some financial assistance.

3. Domestic Violence Does Not Only Apply To Women and Marriage

Domestic violence outreach campaigns often focus on women because of the higher percentage of women that are abused. But both men and women can be and are victims of domestic violence. Men who have faced abuse often find themselves stigmatized and ridiculed due to the societal norm of masculinity and power over one’s partner. If someone you love says they’ve been the victim of domestic violence, you should believe and support them. No gender is safe, and no amount of physical strength or emotional fortitude can protect anyone against any form of abuse.

Also, the word domestic implies a domestic relationship; that of a married man and woman. But domestic violence happens between gay and lesbian couples, roommates, parent-child relationships, and unmarried couples. “Domestic” denotes relating to the running of the home or to family relations. But abuse and violence within a relationship happen just as often. Interpersonal violence is a better term to describe violence within complex relationships.

4. The Physical Impact is Just As Strong As The Emotional Toll

While violence can be strictly physical, emotional abuse is also very common in toxic relationships. Physical and emotional violence are almost always coupled in order to make the abused feel powerless and weak.

Here are a few facts about the toll of physical and emotional abuse:

• Women abused by their intimate partners are more vulnerable to contracting HIV or other STI’s due to forced intercourse or prolonged exposure to stress.
  • Studies suggest that there is a relationship between intimate partner violence and depression and suicidal behavior.  Physical, mental, and sexual and reproductive health effects have been linked with intimate partner violence including adolescent pregnancy, unintended pregnancy in general, miscarriage, stillbirth, intrauterine hemorrhage, nutritional deficiency, abdominal pain and other gastrointestinal problems, neurological disorders, chronic pain, disability, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), as well as noncommunicable diseases such as hypertension, cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
  • Victims of domestic violence are also at higher risk for developing addictions to alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.

Domestic violence is a terrible cycle of abuse that affects a large amount of people throughout the world. Thousands die every year in silence as they hide behind broken bones, bruises, and closed doors. If you see something, say something. It’s a message you’ve heard or read throughout buses, subways, and airports in order to keep public spaces safe. But behind closed doors, offer any and all support you can.

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Photo: 1

Hannah Andress

American '21

Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American. Currently an undergraduate student at American University involved in the Global Scholars program studying International Studies and Arabic. Preferred gender pronouns are she/her/hers. Her interests include national security, women in politics, international human and civil rights, and creating an impact that is long-lasting and sustainable.