2014 Holiday Gift Guide

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It’s about that time of year again. The holiday season is finally upon us (even though some stores have thought so since Halloween) and the list of loved ones to buy presents for is huge. It seems overwhelming but don’t fret! My gift guide is here to rescue you from your toughest present assignments. Dads, boyfriends, and brothers can be the most challenging people to buy for. The best way to buy presents, in this writer’s opinion, is to think about who you’re buying for and what they enjoy. However, there are some pretty universal ideas to get the ball rolling.

For your…

Boyfriend

A lazy-movie-night-kit with a film you know he would like. Stuck on what movie to include? No problem! Pineapple Express — Hilarious, Seth Rogan at his best. 300: This one is pretty much the quintessential guy movie.  Unless something about his personality says otherwise, it would be hard to go wrong with 300. Sharknado — A cult-classic, if this doesn’t make you laugh than nothing will. The ridiculous sci-fi movie is now infamous for its premise that is so bad, it’s good. 

Brother

Age depending, it’s hard to find a young guy that doesn’t love playing video games. So I would recommend a highly anticipated video game that has just come out or just one you would think he would like. If you do decide on a video game than GameStop is the place to go. For horror lovers, The Evil Within recently came out and is supposed to be terrifying. 

Dad

Fathers might be the toughest people to buy presents for. We, as daughters, often feel like they already have everything they want or have simply nowhere to start. One of the best things you can do for your dad is get him something you can share, or something you can do together. This silly coffee mug could come with a card that suggests you too share a coffee and chat sometime soon. 

Sister:

A great way to show your sister you know her so well is to get her a charm for a bracelet or necklace that describes her. Altruette makes charms that donate a percentage of the profits to the charity that corresponds to the charm. They have a charm in the shape of a slide that represents KaBOOM!, an organization that builds playgrounds for kids to fight childhood inactivity. 

Mom: 

Making fun cocktails at home is a snap when you have the right ingredients and the right recipe. A cocktail guide makes it easy for her to have a get together with her friends and learn the ways of mixology. There are many slim hardbacks sitting on bookstore shelves, but a great choice would be the trusted David Embury’s the Fine Art of Mixing Drinks, first published in 1948. It may seem antiquated but he is still a trusted expert on the subject. It doesn’t hurt that the book will also delight your mom with the fun and entertaining writing style. 

This guide is meant to help you get some ideas but don’t be afraid to get creative! DIY is fun and good for a tight budget. You could transform one of these ideas into a gift that you make using mostly things you already have. Instead of buying a new movie and candy you could make your own candy, Caramel is super easy to make, and rent a movie instead. It is way cheaper. He or she will see how much work you put into it! The name of the game is thinking outside-the-box, so use my ideas and run with them!

Get 20% your order at Altruette with the code Charm20. Look for charms at Altruette.com.

Photo Credit: 1234567