It’s the time of year for stressful calls to your mom about the horror of red eye flights and luggage that’s over 50 lbs. Here are the 10 struggles we can all relate to during that long journey home for the holidays!
1. Waiting until the last minute to get tickets
Procrastination takes a whole new form when it comes to buying tickets to go home. The result is an internal monlogue that goes something like this:
Me: “I’ve got time, Thanksgiving’s not for another month!”
Me: “I’ve got time, Thanksgiving’s not for another 2 and a half weeks!”
Me: “…I have approximately 2 hours and 11 minutes to get these tickets.”
2. Having 50 tabs open on your computer trying to find the cheapest option
And each tab has the prices from every airport, train station, and bus terminal you can think of. They’re spread out between all possible destinations within an hour of where you live. Those 10 bucks you save? Totally worth it.
3. Having to plan everything out days in advance
Including every outfit, hair accessory and lip stick shade for every day you’re home. All the stuff that you have to jam into a carry on bag to get you through everyday life seems like a lot more than it should be. This is the point where you realize power cords play a way more significant role in your life than you thought.
4. Having to prepare for every possible weather situation
Never have you been so acquainted with the weather app. Remember to bring an extra winter coat and bathing suit, just in case.
5. Waking up before any normal human to catch your ride
You experience physical pain when you have to set your alarm for 3:30 am to catch your 5:00 am flight but you want to make your visit last as long as possible.
6. Having an overly chatty Uber driver
And having to muster up the courage to discuss in excruciating detail their life plan at 4:30 in the morning.
7. Inevitably forgetting something but not realizing it until you’re boarding
It’s going to be a long trip without headphones. Make a list of everything you need to pack and be sure you’ve checked all those items off before you head to the airport.
8. Getting stuck in the middle seat
Where do you put your elbows? How do you drown out the snores coming from both sides? When is it an appropriate time to go to the bathroom? The only thing that seems to be unquestionable: the middle seat is the worst.
9. Trying to do homework on a crowded bus/train/plane
It’s really hard to focus on your 1,500 word paper with the constant bumps. The people around you are also weirdly interested in your interpretation of Shakespeare.
10. Knowing you have to do it all over again in a few weeks
But it’s all worth it for the family and friends and homeade dinners!