danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Steps to Nail Your Summer Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Summer is approaching, and other than eating watermelon, laying out to tan, and taking a break from classes, Summer is a great opportunity to start job hunting. Whether you’re looking for an internship or camp counselor job, chances are you are going to have an interview for the job you want.

Interviews can be daunting but are truly essential to landing any position. But don’t stress. All you have to do is talk about the one person you know better than anyone else, yourself! Here are some ways to help you nail yours.

1. Prepare by going over the basics.

You don’t always know exactly what an employer is going to ask you, but there are always some easy questions you can assume. Like “why are you interested in working here?” or “What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses.” These questions are almost always asked for any job. Know your answer by heart so you can boldly recite them.  Consider looking up sample interview questions online to prepare for any questions employers might throw your way. 

2. Go to bed early

Get your beauty sleep. Employers want to see the best version of yourself which doesn’t include bags under your eyes. Getting enough sleep will also keep you sharp to answer those tougher questions. Arriving to the interview awake and refreshed will show a potential employer that you are professional and know how to manage your time well. 

3. Eat a healthy breakfast and finish your coffee before you get to the office.

The best days start with a healthy and filling breakfast. Try to stick to something substantial but not too greasy. Choose foods that have lots of protein as appose to lots of carbohydrates like bagels. Protein triggers your brain to release norepinephrine and dopamine which make you more mentally alert.  And be sure to add a serving of fruit or vegetables in there somewhere! 

4. Spit out the gum.

It is tempting to hide your coffee breath with some fresh mint gum, but nothing screams unprofessional like chomping on a piece of gum while you’re trying to talk to someone. It is also harder to speak clearly with something in your mouth. Chewing gum can also distract your interviewer, and that is the last thing that you want. Spit it out before you even enter the office building, and consider brushing your teeth as an alternative for getting rid of your coffee breath before the interview.  

5. Put on extra deodorant.

Clammy hands and pit stains are not only uncomfortable, but they also show the employer that you are nervous. When you know you look good, you feel good and have better odds of performing better during the interview. A good tip while you are sitting in the waiting room of an office before being called in is to ask for a cup of water. This should help lower your body tempature and prevent you from sweating quite so much. 

6. Leave your house early.

You can’t always predict traffic or the weather. Give yourself plenty of time to get there. Giving yourself time for unpredictable hold-ups will make you feel less stressed. Being late is not the first impression you want to leave with your potential employer; they won’t want to hire someone who is disorganized and lacks time management skills.

7. Bump some jams for motivation during your commute.

Playing music during your ride to the interview will relax your churning stomach. I recommend Gold Digger (Kanye West) or Girls Run the World (Beyoncé). Or as an alternative some slow and calming music may help to relax your brain and help you to stay focused and relieve some of your stress.  As Miley Cyrus would say “there’re playin my song, the butterflies fly away.” 

8. Don’t forget to breathe

You’re nervous, which is normal. Sitting face-to-face with someone who will decide your fate (even if it is just for the Summer) for half an hour is stressful. When you are feeling overwhelmed in the waiting room, be sure to take a moment to just breathe. It sounds obvious, but a few slow deep breaths can really help your mind to relax and to allow you to think clearly.  This is a good technique to try during the interview as well if you find yourself surprised by any questions you may be asked.

9. Speak slowly and try to avoid using ‘um’

A pause between questions is better then a filler word like “um” or “uh.” These words make the point you are trying to get across far more difficult to understand. Don’t be afraid to approach a question slowly. Speaking too quickly can also lead to you stutter or not fully think through a response. This allows the employer to assume you are unsure about what you are talking about. 

10. Thank your interviewer.

Thanking someone for interviewing you and taking the time to review your application shows you are mature, courteous, and responsible. All the qualities that employers love. Also, saying thank you will help employers remember you amongst the sea of applicants they are considering.  This gives them the impression that you will bring this professional and considerate attitute to the job if they decide that you are the right candidate for the position.

Photo Credit: 1