What’s CORRECT and INCORRECT to say about Dementia and Alzheimer’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

Nowadays, Alzheimer’s and Dementia have become popular illnesses in Puerto Rico and the United States. It is good, as statistics keep rising, to stay informed  and also, know how to distinguish between both diseases. Doctors say that the key is the prompt diagnosis and treatment of said conditions. Following doctor’s recommendations, we made the following article. Read it and expand your knowledge about Dementia and Alzheimer’s. 

What’s CORRECT and INCORRECT to say about dementia and Alzheimer’s

According to Healthline.com and Alzheimer.com it is CORRECT to say the next sentences:

·         Dementia is a problem of the brain that you’re more likely to develop as you age; Alzheimer’s cause is unknown.

·         Many conditions can cause dementia, including degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and Huntington’s.

·         According to the Cleveland Clinic, Alzheimer’s disease is responsible for 50 to 70 percent of all cases of dementia.

·         HIV can trigger dementia

·         Dementia could be caused by drugs, tumors, metabolic disorders, and hypoglycemia; Alzheimer’s not.

·          You can have a form of dementia that is completely unrelated to Alzheimer’s disease.

·         The time from diagnosis to death caused by Alzheimer’s can be as little as three years in people over 80 years old. However, it can be much longer for younger people and other conditions such as dementia and Parkinson’s

·         Dementia is a brain disorder that affects communication and performance of daily activities and Alzheimer’s disease is a form of dementia that specifically affects parts of the brain that control thought, memory and language.

·         Alzheimer’s is not a reversible disease

·         Dementia symptoms are very similar as when someone has a sore throat.

*Photo courtesy from Pinterest 

According to Healthline.com and Alzheimer.com that com it is INCORRECT to say the next sentences

·         Alzheimer’s caused as you get old because old people have all type of diseases.

·         Alzheimer’s causes dementia, Parkinson’s and Huntington’s

·         Alzheimer’s disease is an umbrella term for a bunch of symptoms including impaired thinking and memory

·         Alzheimer’s could be caused by drugs, tumors, metabolic disorders and hypoglycemia

·         Dementia time from diagnostic can be as little as three years in people over 80 years’ old

·         Dementia is not a reversible disease

·         Alzheimer’s affect all parts of the brain

·         Alzheimer’s symptoms are very similar to a throat

·         Alzheimer’s not a type of dementia

·         The only type of dementia is Alzheimer’s 

References:

1.      Healthline Editorial Team. (2013). What’s the difference between Dementia and Alzheimer’s?. March 29, 2016, de Healthline Sitio web: http://www.healthline.com/health/alzheimers-disease/difference-dementia-alzheimers#Connection1

2.      Alzheimers.net. (2016). Difference Between Alzheimer’s and Dementia. March 29, 2016, de Alzheimers.net Sitio web: http://www.alzheimers.net/difference-between-alzheimers-and-dementia/