What I want every twenty something to know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

I’m that annoying person who would do anything possible for you to know when her birthday is (maybe even 4 months before the actual birthday!), but this year the mark hit 20 and I didn’t really feel at all that excited.  If it wasn’t for my friends and the Facebook reminder, I think I wouldn’t  have even remembered it.  Quite the contrary, this year felt like something bad was going to happen: I wasn’t going to be recognized as a “teen” anymore.  “There is no turning back now, I’m old”, I thought, which is a fallacy since being really young or old shouldn’t be measured by your number but by how you feel and see the life ahead of you.   At least, that’s what  older people used to tell me and now I understand it.  I am entering this new group in society,  by this decade I am supposed to have so many more responsibilities:  a career, a car, a house , basically my life all put together.  That, you guys, that thought scared me.  However, I can say I’m way more ahead than how I visualized myself when I was  younger.  What makes me feel complete even though I have these feelings? I want to share with you 6 things everyone should figure out before turning 20.

#1 Build your own empire

No matter what you love and what you want to do for now or the rest of your life.  Start working on it now.  It is better to do baby steps than to rush into everything when you’re older. A lot of people will tell you it’s too soon or that you are too young. Listen to their advice, but always follow what your gut says. Start networking everywhere you go. Get to know people and make people recognize you for the right reasons.

#2 Let it go

If what you’re doing doesn’t fulfill you, search for something that does.  Hobbies, work, major or even the boyfriend. Don’t waste your time. Change it!

#3 Be the help and motivate others.

Your friend feels sad after a breakup? Be there for her.

A classmate having problems with a class you’re good at? Tutor him/her

Abandoned kitten at campus? Adopt him

This, collegiettes is the change we need in our world. There’s so many ways we can give back to others, but we usually get caught up in our own lives.

#4 Take care of your health

Even at 20, we are not invincible. Between college, work, extra curricular activities and just life, we can be more predisposed to get sick. Get routine checkups with your doctor, be active and eat a healthy, balanced diet.

#5 Your credit

Maybe some won’t understand how important it is to have a good credit score, and the sooner the better. This can make you or break you, no in-betweens.  From getting your first real apartment , to your dream car or to just live a less stressful life. Choose wisely and use credit cards for emergencies, not luxury.

#6 College

Do your best at college, leave your legacy, make a difference and take the most out of this opportunity. Remember: not everyone has the opportunity you’ve been given.   You will have time for everything if you set your priorities straight.

#7 Savings

Start a savings account.  Paycheck by paycheck, if you work , you can save part of it.  For after college, for a dream trip or a car.  Most importantly is for you to save for emergencies.

*Photo Courtesy from Pinterest 
Yarilix Santos is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Psychology. She is a DCP fall intern 2016  and research assistant. Loves to read, write and travel. In her free time you can find her either searching for new places to eat at Old San Juan or in a near coffee shop. She plans to go to grad school and study Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Albizu Her Campus